Will 64-Bit OS and Autodesk 2010 64-Bit Eleviate any issues?

jevans

Hello All:

This is my first time here and first post. Hopefully you guys can help me solve some of my problems.

Computer:

HP Z400 Workstation

2.67GHz Xeon Proc

3.48GB of Ram Showing but have 6GB

ATI FirePro v5700 Graphics Card

XP Pro 32-Bit

Software:

Autodesk Suite 2010 32-Bit installed

On pretty much all of my Autodesk programs (AutoCAD, Architecture, Inventor) they will keep freezing. They will have to be hard powered to shut down b/c the students who use them dont have permission to CTRL+ALT+DELETE. Its weird b/c it dosent happen all all of the machines just some and its random machines.

Any Ideas?

Should I think about creating a 64-Bit image and install Autodesk 2010 64-Bit?

Thanks,

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

If you have 6GB RAM, then yes, you need to install a 64 bit operating system. A 32 bit OS can only utilize 2GB RAM, unless you activate the 3GB switch which will allow your OS to access 3.5GB RAM. But the rest is just sitting there doing nothing.

What are the file sizes on the machines that are freezing and what are the students doing when this happens? Documenting these occurrences is the first step to solving these types of problems. But I think upgrading your operating system may be the answer.