Realistic Wire Basket in Autocad MEP

haggis102

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently learning to use Autocad MEP and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a little problem I'm having?

I'm drawing wire basket at the moment and was wondering if it is possible to make the basket display realistic when you put the drawing into a 3D isometric view?

Another problem is that I need to draw unistrut and was wondering if there was a way of drawing it without drawing the profile and extruding it as its making my files sizes extremely large.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Haggis102

Wire can best be displayed in a rendering environment. It is difficult to do win a wire frame environment. It would also lead to very large file size.

Depending on how detailed the unistrurt that you need, I would use a simple pline profile with thickness. Solids will give you the infilled ends and slotted openings but as you have found, very large files. -David

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply!

I was led to believe that MEP used catalogue based objects and would draw a basket indicating it with wire but all I am getting at the moment is a rectangular solid which looks more like a tray even when I render it, it always looks like a tray and not very realistic! Is there no way of being able to produce a 3D hidden view that will show as realistic type of basket?

Also I cant use a polyline as I am detailing a 3d frame so I need the thickness of the polyline to show up in a 3D isometric view. 3D polylines wont alow me to set a thickness!

I dont know how to attached an image or I would show you a snapshot of what I am trying to produce and how autocad is displaying it.

Regards,

Haggis102

With regards the Unistrut, I have put together a small tutorial for creating any shape steelwork you want. I'll try to upload it, if I can't, send me an e-mail, from my profile and I will forward it to you.

Nope, it's too large to upload. Send me an E-Mail and It'll all be sorted for you.

Regards,

Chris Jackson

• 2 weeks later...

Well, seems that the steelwork couldn't of been that much of an issue to want it fixed, however, others are welcome to the information if they wish to have it. As post above, file size is too large to upload, unless the Mods can do something to remedy it, so for now, send me an E-Mail if you wish to have a copy.

Appologies for the late response Jacko,

Things have been a little hectic! I really would appreciate a copy of your tutorial its not too much trouble! I will contact you through your profile with my email address.

Many thanks for your help,

Kind Regards, Haggis

Jacko,

There doesn't appear to be any contact information in your profile! Would you please forward the information to my email address.

Again many thanks I really appreciate your help.

Haggis