Scatter grouped objects- buildings

GreenViz

Hi all,

This forum is amazing- I just spent 1/2hr getting to this post being distracted by all this knowledge!

My question is this- Is is possible to scatter grouped objects (specifically, fully modeled buildings in AutoCAD) over a plane or any other object?

I might be missing something but it seems like there should be a way?

Thank you!

PS- I would rather not remodel the buildings as meshes or whatever?

Thank you for your prompt reply, Cad64, but I'm afraid I already read that one! :)

My question is 3DS Max, although the building has been created nearly entirely in Autocad as a 3D model- Initially used for planning and initial design- save for the windows and doors, which I used Max for.

The building now has multiple objects creating a group. My question is, how if possible, may I take that unique group (not created in AEC Extended param) and scatter it over a plane or another object?

I would like to still be able to texture (multi/sub is fine) and edit the group to create slight differences in building (height,etc.)

So, is this possible? Merge all objects? Proboolean (crashy and unreliable)?

I feel this may need some more clarification but if you get the gist, please offer a possible solution! Thanks in advance!

Hmmmmm, I guess I'm unsure as to why you would want to scatter buildings? Scatter is so random. I would think you would want the buildings to be uniform, in straight lines or following arcs? And since you want to texture them individually and make changes in height, etc. I don't really think scatter is a relevant option. Maybe if you can be more specific about exactly what type of result you are looking to achieve I could possibly offer a better alternative?

Cad64,

This particular rendering is not so much adhering to architectural principles..So here goes!

The vision is a series (lots) of these building from a birds eye with a large perspective distortion. Basically want to have one completed final "building" in all its glory placed in post-production, and the rest fade into the horizon while still maintaining their "completeness". Sound interesting enough? :)

I would like the scatter option as I want atleast 30-40 in backrgound, lightly textured. The lines and arcs part will come after I have set the camera angle, if neccessary.

Well, I think I would create 4 or 5 variations of your building, (fully textured and set up the way you want them), and then Attach all the windows and doors, etc. until each building is a complete unit. Then use the scatter modifier. I don't really know of any other way. If you don't want to attach all the individual pieces, then I think you will have to manually place each building because you can't scatter grouped objects, as far as I know.

Ah! I think we are getting there!

Cad64- I think I am about to show why I posted this question in the beginner section (I think im missing something!)

Can I just attach the edges of the window to the building and it is one (1) complete unit afterwards? then multi-sub mat for texture?

Can I just attach the edges of the window to the building and it is one (1) complete unit afterwards? then multi-sub mat for texture?

Yes, that should work.

Select the building, click the "Attach" button in the "Modify" panel and then select the window and it will become part of the building.