How to use blocks to create a bill of material?

jabo5520

I am drawing layouts of racking for large warehouses. I have created blocks to use as "bays". I may have 200 of the same block in one drawing. I am trying to tie specific parts to each block so that autocad can generate a bill of material. this would eliminate the need for me to hand count all the specific parts. does anyone know of the best way to accomplish this? I've used the AMPARTREF command but when i assign it to a specific part (I.E. a beam) the AMBOM only counts one beam. this is a plan view (2d) so there are actually other beams underneath. For example, my block would have 12 beams, but autocad only accounts for one beam. Is there a way to change the qty of each part? i know i can just go throught the procedure 12 times but it seems there should be a better way. Also, does anyone know how to change the "item number" once its been created? from what i can tell, autocad numbers them in the order you do them and we have a specific numbering system. any help would be much appreciated

thanks

btw...im using autocad mechanical 2006

What I do is when I create the blocks with attributes. You could label the attributes Beam Size input 12". Then use export attribute command and export the information into excel. The problem I think you would have with this is in order for all the beams to be counted in the block you would need to have 12 attributes labelled Beam Size 1 - Beam Size 12, unless you can create an excel file template that would have a formual in it to count the number of beam sizes. See Attached. Hope this helps or atleast get the wheels turning toward a better solution.

FIRE ALARM DEVICE COUNTS TEMPLATE.zip

thanks for your reply. I've actually been playing around with the attributes like you said and you are right about needing (12) attributes to account for the (12) beams. I still cant get it to total up to (12) of the same beam. when i export the data it just says "qty=1" for beam1-beam12. it would be so easy if i could use the partref and enter a qty for each part manually. oh well. i'll keep monkeying with it. thanks for your help. im going to check out the excel file you attached soon.

You might be able to use the excel file after some editing of course. I have it set up as 3 separate tabs. Tab1 has all of the block names, device addresses, etc.; while Tabs 2 & 3 look up the the block names and count how many times it sees the block and counts how many time a particular attribute it sees. In your case you might want to pay close attention to the G1RF-HDVM - NORTH & V01 formula's. The first counts how many times on TAB1 it sees that block name; while the V01 formula counts how many it sees a candela rating. You should be able to copy those two formuals and change what you need. That might work.

I will definitely look into your excel file/formulas and see if i can get it to work for me. If i can figure this out, it will save my company alot of time and avoid the company owner from switching to drawing everything as a 3d model in inventor!

Back in 2007 forum member vinod posted this:

"I am using the command "EATTEXT" for counting blocks in drawings.

Found it is very useful..

You can export the output as *.csv."

What's up ReMark you following me? LOL

Like a bad dream isn't it? Are the hairs on the back of your neck standing up yet? Check the shadows...that's where I lurk.

Like a bad dream isn't it? Are the hairs on the back of your neck standing up yet? Check the shadows...that's where I lurk.

ReMark the Ninja

Also you can see if the DATAEXTRACTION command exists in AutoCAD Mechanical. That has a huge selection of options for exporting to Excel format. It even lets you save selection templates, you can combine multiple files at once, you can run Filters to weed out unwanted information, and can even create excel formulas prior to export. Handy tool indeed.