Convert NURMS to NURBS

Lawmate

Hi there

I have a model of a seat that i created by editing a mesh and then adding a MeshSmooth modifier onto it. The MeshSmooth is set to NURMS output and it works well.

The problem is that I want to convert it into a NURBS model so I can export it to IGES. I have found I can do it by converting it to an editable patch and then to a NURBS model but with my very simple shape object and the MeshSmooth iterations set to 2, it took 30 minutes to do and wasn't especially smooth. Although it did have a hugely excessive amount of edges.

Does anyone know if there's a way of converting directly from NURMS to NURBS. Maybe using MeshSmooth is the wrong way to go about it?

Any help greatly appreciated

Laurence

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have tried removing the MeshSmooth and converting it to NURBS, by converting it to an editable Patch and then to NURBS. However, when I do this not only is the object jagged and blocky but it has a totally excessive amount of edges.

The reason I was trying to convert it to NURBS from NURMS was so that it could retain the small amount of data. I guess when I convert it to a Patch it gains a large amount of data.

It is probably easier just to trace over the original MeshSmooth object using NURBS, but it does seem a little silly that you can't easily convert between the two, because as I understand it, they rely on pretty similar algorithms.

Anyway thanks a lot

Laurence

Well, I don't think you can convert directly to Nurbs. The way you're doing it is correct.

Convert to Editable Patch

Convert to NURBS

Export as IGES

The conversion process just takes a really long time.

Do you really need an Iges file though? Or could you use .obj or .3ds? Or what about .stl?

Hi

Yeah I have settled for doing it the long way with only 1 iteration of the MeshSmooth. It doesn't look that good but I can work with it.

The reason I want it in IGES is so I can import it into Autodesk Inventor. I have tried an Inventor add on to import .3ds files but it kept crashing when I tried.

I don't know about .obj and I thought .stl files were the same as .igs but without material data.

Anyway thanks for the replies