Help in choosing first plotter

smarley

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if I couldn't get some of your thoughts regarding lower-priced plotters.

I recently started my own electrical design business and I need a durable, no-nonsense plotter that can handle Arch D-sized paper.

Drawings will all be in black and white, so photo demands would be nil.

Any thoughts on the HP Designjet 510? $2000.00 would be about my max budget limit.

Thanks for your help!

Marley

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, I'm showing my lack of knowledge by not understanding the other options.

From what I have seen, it looks like an HP Deskjet 110/130 would be reasonable, as I don't plan to do print that many drawings (~50 per month).

I'm just a bit gun-shy of spending $1200.00 on such a machine when almost all of the reviews seem negative.

I would like to stick with "printer-like" technology (ie drop-in ink cartridges etc) and keep costs down. I will, however, spend some extra money if added quality/durability can be obtained.

Again, just basic electrical drawings in paper space with model space building plans as a foundation.

Thanks!

Marley

My HP 600 C2848A just died and I've been doing a little research on refurbs and have come to the conclusion that new is better today. The repair costs and parts availability of these older units just make it to much of a gamble for me.

At 1 time a new ($4,500 ) vs a refurb ( $1,500 ) made sense.

There used to be Encad that made a decent HP knock off. Haven't heard about them in a while.

Keep us up to speed as to what you find and decide on. There are a lot of people in your same shoes. No color needs. Limited quantity ( I only use them for check plots ). -David

I have an old DesignJet 450C plotter - very good conditions, but for some reason it simple stop plotting... might need a service or something, any comments if it worth doing that or simple to try to sell it? and any idea of the prices?

Sorry, for to many questions :)

Our firm uses a DesignJet 500+ with a add-in memory card. We bought it five years ago and have done little in the way of maintenance on it. I think we replaced the holder for the ink cartridges. Other than that all we have done is replaced ink cartridges and rolls of paper. I would consider buying another HP inkjet in the future.

My one complaint is that HP support (on line) isn't all that great. I've seen users post problems and it is mostly other users providing the help. Once a company gets as big as AutoDesk, Microsoft or HP the customer only counts when their wallet is open!

The error that I got that killed the machine was the 'can't find edge' error. The unit needed an entire cartridge holder / led sensor / carriage $500 + labor if I could find 1.

The are quite a few others that seem to be terminal as well. -David

My thought is that now pretty well all of the plotters are reliable, and trouble free (up to a point). Get what smokes you then.

But first, do a little digging. Find out just who services the plotter in your area before going off the deep end. If it is used, and don't work immediately after plugging it all in, then find out just why.

I was lucky and found a repairman about 15 minutes from here, who knew what worked in Acad, and what did not. What I could use once per week, and what had to be used every day. He knew em. He also knew how to cheat, and make the plot come out as anticipated.

He picked up some contract work for Lorand, then retired. Now got no one to back me up if it breaks.

Wm.