Extrude images?

valrecx

Hello, is there a possible way to extrude images in 3ds max? Like for example a logo, i want the colored part to be extruded but i don't know how, i already used bump but still it didn't work, please help, thanks

CHCC Logo2.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cad64

• valrecx

• erikur200

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this an Autocad question or a 3DS Max question?

You can't extrude a raster image. Bump map is the best you can do. If you want to extrude it, you will need to trace it first.

Hello again, When i place the text that i modified with path deform, at the bottom of a circle path, looks like there is no cap on the holes thats why it render like the one on the picture, but when i place it at the top, i got the image that i want to see. What might be the problem?

2.jpg

1.jpg

It's hard to tell from looking at the images. Is the text being flipped inside out? The top image shows the text reading backwards but the bottom image reads correctly. Check your surface normals. You may need to flip them.

Path deform needs a object path like a circle or curve so that the text will follow this path right? I use a circle to act as a path, when i place the text above this circle the rendered image is good but when i place the text at the bottom of the circle path and rendered it, It shows a rendered image like in the 2nd image above, even if I flip it.

IMAGE1.jpg

Sorry, I don't know what the problem is. I would need the file in front of me so I could run some tests to determine what's happening. If you can post the file I will take a look.

I don't know if you can open this file with your 3ds max software. I can't upload a .max file that's why i exported it into .3ds file. If you manage to open it, rendered it first then try to move the z axis of the text, and place the text above the circle and rendered it again, then you will see the difference of text that at the top and at the bottom of a circle, thanks in advance

arvin.3DS

Yes, it's exactly as I said. Your surface normals are flipped.

1. Select the text and convert it to editable poly.

2. Switch to Polygon selection mode and window select all the text so that it all turns red.

3. Click the "Flip" button, (It's under the "Edit Polygons" rollout menu).

Now render again and I think you will get the result you're looking for.

:huh: It's not a good tool for what? Modeling? I think I will have to strongly disagree with that comment. The only problem with this file is that the normals need to be flipped, which is a very simple thing to do.

I have been using 3ds since 1995, and I think at least for me it was a rather heavy program for small things like this logo thing that the user was doing. And again the price for 3ds is horrible. modo is a very simple, yet powerfull piece of software that are excelent for 3D modelling and 3D design, like the logo mentioned. o:)

Erik

:? Wait, I thought you said you've been using Max for 10 years, but now you say you've been using in since 1995? Isn't that 15 years? Are you sure about these numbers? :unsure:

Just because Max is a big, complex and expensive program doesn't mean it's not a good tool for the job. As I said twice before, the only problem with the file that was posted is that the normals needed to be flipped. This is a very simple mistake that new users make but it is easily corrected.

But if you can't afford it, there are other less expensive options. There's even a free program called Blender. It just depends on your budget. But I would never say that Max is not a good tool for the job. In my opinion, it's one of the best. :wink:

did I say 10 years? no that was a misscalculation, it's 15 as you say. Time fly :-)

I am agree with you in what you say. Well it's probably shining through but I don't like Autodesk, they are like mafia, whith their prices and buying up all the competitors. THis was a sidetrack from the topic :-)

Erik

you are very correct in that, I did not say that 3ds is a bad program, I just mented that it is rather big and complicated and expensive for doing simple things like that Logo thing. so to get this straight, I am NOT against 3ds, it's an excelent piece of software.

Erik

So your answer is to buy another program? If the OP already owns Max, why would he want to buy another program for doing a simple logo? Max can do that. All he has to do is flip his normals and he's right back on track. I think your logic is clouded by your dislike for Autodesk.

I use Max every day for creating the smallest little scene prop's to very large complex architectural renderings. I don't switch to another program just because the piece I'm working on is simple. There's no need. Max can do it all. Big or small, simple or complex.