drawing walls straight

Zena

Hi good people,

Is there a buttom I can use to make the AEC Extended go on th elines I want?? Ie: does not act funny and is drawn all the over the place not the grid.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by "go on the lines"? Are you creating them on top of a CAD file that you've imported? Or are you trying to create them on the grid? Open your "Grid and Snap Settings" and activate the appropriate Snaps.

Thanks CAD...it worked after some time of searching. I am very new to 3dmax...thought it might have an ortho button.

I have also been searching posts for the best way to draw interiors but I could not find a very clear picture. I know it's up to the people where to start but I thought if somebody could have it in simple steps to go about it.

Question:

1-is it better to start with walls then windows and doors?

2- should I make openning for W/D or add them leter?

these are for now.

Thanks again

I have also been searching posts for the best way to draw interiors but I could not find a very clear picture. I know it's up to the people where to start but I thought if somebody could have it in simple steps to go about it.

If you don't mind spending some money, there are DVD training videos you can purchase from places like digitaltutors.com that cover modeling interiors.

To answer your questions:

1. It's up to you, but for my own personal workflow, I always put up the walls first. This gives me the foundation from which I can build upon. But, you could place the windows and doors and then build the walls around them. I just feel that's kind of a backwards way of doing things.

2. Yes, I think it's a good idea to block everything out first, before you start getting into the details. Cut out the holes for the doors and windows and then position them where you want them. Once you get them in the correct location, then add the actual doors and windows and place them in the cutouts.

I tend to look at 3D modeling the same way a sculptor looks at clay. You have to build up the detail slowly. You block out the rough shape, then you start refining the form and adding detail and little by little the model starts to take shape. If you just go in and start adding detail immediately without working out the form, you're just going to paint yourself into a corner and probably have to scrap the whole thing and start over again.