Autodesk Application Certification

English Lad

Hi all,

I am looking to train in AutoCad and was wondering what users, employees and employers views are on the certification program that Autodesk offer. Is it actually valued in the workplace etc?

Paul

yeh its vauled definetly, also City and Guilds qualfications are up there aswell if you have come across the courses they offer regarding AutoCAD specifically??

It wouldn't hurt and may give you a leg up on the competition all other things being equal. I think big companies may value the certification more than smaller companies.

Hi Ritch,

I am looking at paying my money and attending an approved autodesk trainer to be honest.

I have also taken a look at my local college and if they have enough paying customers they may run an HNC in CAD. Spoken to the course lecturer and like alot of courses it seems a little behined the times as it will include very little 3d modeling.

Even an introduction course I went on they teach you to put title blocks etc in mspace and not pspace which I beleive is where they should sit. Haven't grasped that concept yet, so I don't have a lot of faith in local education.:(

I'm in Scotland so no C&G up here! Used to live in Norfolk myself about 6/7 years ago :)

yeh its vauled definetly, also City and Guilds qualfications are up there aswell if you have come across the courses they offer regarding AutoCAD specifically??

oh i see, if you want introduction i went on this distant learning course i highly recommend this, www.icslearn.co.uk they offer a course, its pretty basic 2-d stuff but the reason i went on for was the 3-d part for the other 6 months, thats how i intially learnt to draw 3-D i guess.

oh no way where abouts in norfolk were you?? im near Great Yarmouth near Norwich... must mean something to ya... most people are like what great yarmouth!? lol

I lived in Methwold Hythe near Downham Market for 5 years.

The 2D stuff I have picked up on my own and without help from lecturers at college. The 3D stuff looks alot harder:(

Paul

English Lad,

Most company's will be looking at your technical experience rather than your CAD skills. It's not enough to be able to use CAD, they will want to know that you understand what it is you are drawing. From that point of view extra training doesn't mean that you will get the job.

In my industry (Joinery and interior fit out) a City and Guilds is sufficient to show that you understand the basics, and is recognised nationally. The Autodesk certificates haven't really taken off yet, having said that I personally would be impressed by anyone who had an Autodesk certificate on their C.V.

The City and Guilds certificate tells an employer that you have passed a course of instruction.The Autodesk certificate is a test of competency, you don't need to have completed a training course to pass the test.

If you have some money to spend and you want to improve your CAD skills,whether it gets you a job or not, definitely start with your local Autodesk reseller. They will be best placed to teach you about Autodesk products. If you have £1000 - £1500 to spend I suggest that you go to Autodesk University. You don't get better training than that, and you get a holiday in Las Vegas thrown in!

If your'e looking for a recognised qualification that will increase your employment prospects I suggest that you phone up the kind of companies that you would like to be employed by and ask them what they are looking for!

Hi all,

I am looking to train in AutoCad and was wondering what users, employees and employers views are on the certification program that Autodesk offer. Is it actually valued in the workplace etc?

Paul

Don't know on your area... but here in San Diego, CA... nope or better non of all the offices I know - if it is for Architecture, they want someone that's knows how to make CD's from DD to CD's, codes issues, details, etc. the cad production can be done much easier.

Also, many offices prefer to hire a license Architect and he/she do all in all.

What I have seen it is that they are having the tendency of going the Revit route.

Apart of all the above, there is zero job openings basically on my area.

The AIA, can tell more - before those two ads were a single ad for almost a year...

http://www.aiasandiego.org/classifieds

Hope, it is better around your area.

LE!

(Ex.Architect - Now.Software.Developer)

I agree with what has been said that CAD alone doesn't give you a job but with broad engineering skills covering electrical and mechanical I think it does :)

Paul