Working with outside consultants

Nick_101

I'm curious to find out from others on this forum how they interact with outside consultants . . . . other than sending dwg files between offices, what are you feelings about using DWF's "Design Review" or "TRU View" to communicate and process drawing information.

Truly any comments would be appreciated, some guys in my firm swear by DWF's others by DWG's . . . so I'm trying to establish what is the preferred 'best practice' in the market place!!!

Thanks! :?

Not sure there is a "best practice".

My thought is it hinges on the function the outside consultant performs. If it is to review or mark up and not make changes to a drawing I would go the DWF/Design Revieew route and give them access to the drawing.

Thanks Patrick :)

The consultants I mentioned would mark up their requirements / comments or whatever and return them to us for up dating, so we'd keep such 'drawings' received for record purposes!

We're trying to keep our messaging between the project teams as small as possible, which is why the dwf route is appealing.

I'm also going to look at Bluebean's software using pdf's to communicate info. I see they're going to be releasing version 8 soon . . .

Thanks for your interest in my query . . . and how's the weather in your part of the world. It's been a cold winter for you guys!

Over and out!

Heh, heh

It has been cold but I've been through hasher winters so by comparison it's been easy enough to handle. I'm just ready for all the snow to be gone. Where is your neck of the woods?

Looking over my reply I meant my last comment to be "and not give them access to the drawing"

I would push DWF as much as you can. I'm slowly getting people here used to the idea of it. Being able to dimension anything you need to is a great feature to have (I know you can do it in Adobe, but not in Reader). Not to mention that the DWF file sizes are significantly smaller than a PDF is.

HI Patrick . . .I'm from South Africa . . .Johannesburg to be precise!

Right now we're enjoying summer, which brings rain, and this year we've had plenty of it! You get snow . . .we get rain! Don't you just love this planet!

Hi Supercad. . . Thanks for the comments too! I've had a look at DWF and Design Review and it seemd as thou it's been thought through as a package, and as you say the DWF files size is a lot smaller . . .which counts for a lot in this instance!

DWF wins . . . . .

Thanks guys!