PDA

View Full Version : what is LAND DESKTOP

rami
20th Oct 2005, 11:14 am
Sorry for my stupid question but what is LAND DESKTOP what it do ?
is that for landscape ?

Lazer
20th Oct 2005, 11:25 am
Yea used for planning of layouts, roads large housing areas etc.
iv never used it myself but to find out more you can try

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=3091031

Squirreldip
20th Oct 2005, 06:46 pm
Think of it as what a housing developer would use: Parcels, Alignments, Terrains etc... There's tools for labelling lots, grading (ponds, house lots etc).

There's a Civil add-on which extends the capabilities adding cross sections, road templates etc. There's a survey add-on which adds a number of tools for tieing the design info to actual ground survey.

I'm a Transportation Engineer (highway design and rail design), my company uses Land with the Civil add-on.

monty0414
11th Nov 2005, 10:41 pm
Surveyors and Civil Engineers use this for surveying to topo'ing land and 3d road design to Site plan engineering.

It used to be called Softdesk before AutoDesk bought it in the lat 90's and before that it was developed by a Civil firm on the East coast and they called it DCA. I've use this every day since version 9.

fenyess
25th Nov 2005, 08:50 am
i use land for ground modeller, make countor line, soil profile...
if i know good 2006 civil3d= land+map+civil.

loveisforever
21st May 2006, 04:02 am
Any "good" and reader-frendly" books that teaches LDD?

Moobz
9th Jun 2006, 08:56 pm
LDD makes scotch taste REALLY good after 5pm during the week.

Stellionate
31st Jul 2006, 10:46 pm
really, I can hardly wait till lunch! :D

iain9876
28th Sep 2006, 01:45 pm
If your a ground modeller, Land desktop (LDD) is terrible.

It's seems like its a ground modelling package written by programmers with minimum thought for the use of day-to-day engineers/surveyors.

Point databases, although in principle sounds good, just messes up the screen and after a while become annoying when you find you don't really use them at all.
Overlapping contours is a thing LDD seems to do regularly.

For years people have attempted to speak to autoDesk about the problems, but some respectable LDD tutors are seriously dissapointed that autodesk just won't listen.

I have a colleague who purchased Civil 3d (the upgrade and integrated LDD package with civil design), his views are "the advertising was good, and the little clip where you could drag an alignment and everything was Auto Updated, looked very impressive".
In reality though, its very hard to learn and not worth the money.

There are several packages out there that bolt onto Simple autocad that are Excellent for productive ground modelling and design, before you look at LDD or civil design, check the 3rd party products first.

I find that most people who think LDD is great, have never or hardly touched any other third party products, or even seen their capabilities at all!

don't get me started onthe old Autodesk survey, ...what was all that about....just wasted my money!