rotating two parallel lines

James123

I'm looking for a little help to do a specific rotation, its two parallel lines meant to represent a beam, one through the corner points of a square, one offset from the first by 50mm.

now i need to rotate both lines so that the original top left corner is still in the same place, but the second line now intersects with the bottom right corner, the beam obviously has to stay in scale and so forth.

I have tried the rotate function, and allign, but cant seem to get the exact result I want, the second line always ends up offset from the corner because it's ligning up the end of that line with the corner of the square, rather than along the length.

I have attached a little pic of what I'm trying to do, as my descriptive powers are not the best.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thanks.

lines.jpg

If I understand you correctly you should be able to use Rotate > Reference

The sequence as follows

ROTATE

Select objects: select the lines to rotate

Specify base point:pick top left corner

Specify rotation angle or [Copy/Reference] : type R for reference

Specify the reference angle : click at the top left corner Specify second point:click somewhere along the line

Specify the new angle or [Points]: click at bottom right corner

Try this

draw a circle from upper left corner to lower right corner

Align > pick the lines

1st source point > UL corner

1st destination point > UL corner

2nd source point > intersection of circle and 2nd line

2nd destination point > lower right corner

if it isn't exact, it's pretty dang close

I have to do this sort of rotation where the centre of rotation is offset, so I draw a temporary circle to help.

Centred on A, draw a circle radius to B. Now start Rotate and select the two lines, the base point is A, then option Reference, specify the reference angle - pick the points A then C, then new angle is at B. Finally erase circle. :D

RotateRef.jpg

Thanks heaps Ipseifert and Eldon, both your suggestions work, it was the vital step of scribing the circle to get the correct reference point on the second line that I was missing.

Cheers!