3ds max house modeling

liv-k

Hello everyone!

I'm experimenting with 3d studio max (I'm a beginner) and I'm wondering which is the best way to work. I'm working on a small house and I try to put some furniture in it. Is it better to furniture every room seperately or furniture the entire house in the same drawing? It's a little hard to render it though. :?

Thanks

If you're having trouble rendering, try putting the furniture for each room on individual layers so you can turn off what you don't need. There is a column in the layer manager for rendering. You can click off any layers that you don't want to be included in the render.

http://www.cagedflame.com/index.php?name=layermanager.php

Thank you Cad64. So, you suggest I put the furniture directly into the main drawing of the house.

Another problem that I have is when I import the furniture I can't scale them uniformly.

About the same project that I'm working on I have another problem. Yesterday when I tried to put a light in a room everything worked fine. Today, after I saved my previous work, it seems that the photometric light that I used loses it's template. Every time I switch views from one viewport to another template is gone. Of course nothing happens in render. The room is dark. I've doubled checked the position of the light and there are no obstacles in the way. I'm pretty sure that I haven't changed any other settings either. What could possibly go wrong? Any ideas?

thanks

I can't think of any reason why this would happen. If you placed the light in the scene then it shouldn't matter which viewport you're in, the light should still be there. Can you post some screenshots?

I've put this light in the room. I select a template and if I deselect the light and then select it again the template is gone. If I render my camera view I get a dark image. I don't understand because the exact same thing worked just fine the other day. :?

<a href=light1.jpg' alt='light1.jpg'>

Sorry, I'm not able to duplicate the problem. It's working fine for me. I know what you mean about the template changing when you deselect and then select the light again though. It does that to me too. But the light seems to remember what template was selected, regardless of what it says in the list box.

:o Oh, wait a minute. I just noticed you have added a Daylight System. Whenever you add a Daylight System, you have to bump up your light intensity.

You might also want to place sky portals at the windows.

Take a look at this tutorial: http://www.tylertreat.net/blog/?p=482

:o Oh, wait a minute. I just noticed you have added a Daylight System. Whenever you add a Daylight System, you have to bump up your light intensity.

You might also want to place sky portals at the windows.

Take a look at this tutorial: http://www.tylertreat.net/blog/?p=482

The truth is I moved the sun a little, because the side of the house I was working was too dark. Do you mean that, because of the position of the sun, the light intensity is too small? I just wonder, souldn't I be able to see even a small glow of the light at my render? I can't see anything. I change the position of the light to be visible in my camera viewport and there is nothing in my render. :(

By the way very useful tutorial..:) Thanks

The position of the sun has nothing to do with it. Whenever you add a Daylight System, you have to increase the intensity of your lights, and you may have to increase it quite a bit in order to see it. Did you check the link I posted? Have you tried adding sky portals?

The position of the sun has nothing to do with it. Whenever you add a Daylight System, you have to increase the intensity of your lights, and you may have to increase it quite a bit in order to see it. Did you check the link I posted? Have you tried adding sky portals?

I didn't try it yet, I'm at work. I'll do it first thing as soon as I get home. I just don't understand why the whole thing worked whith the exact same daylight system 2 days ago. Anyway, I'll check all of my settings, according to the link, because I m sure I did sth stupid and I just can't see it. :oops: Thanks a lot again

I've used sky portals and everything. I noticed that for some reason when I increase the light intensity it affects the outside of the house not the inside. I don't know what's wrong. After using sky portals render's still black. :?

Well, I don't know what the problem is. You would have to post the file so that I could take a look at it on my machine.

And yes, when you use the sky portals and increase the intensity it will get brighter outside. That's what's supposed to happen. What are you trying to render, inside or outside? If you're trying to render outside, then why are you trying to add lights inside?

Well, I don't know what the problem is. You would have to post the file so that I could take a look at it on my machine.

And yes, when you use the sky portals and increase the intensity it will get brighter outside. That's what's supposed to happen. What are you trying to render, inside or outside? If you're trying to render outside, then why are you trying to add lights inside?

I'm sorry if I haven't been specific. I try to render inside a room. This is what my room looked like the first time I put the light inside and a daylight system outside.

livingroomm.jpg

For some reason that I can't understand, now, with the same light inside and the same daylight system outside the render of the room is dark. At the previous post I mentioned that it gets brighter OUTSIDE when I increase the intensity of the INTERIOR light and I noticed that BEFORE I added the sky portals at the windows of the room. Sorry for being so tiring..

Well, like I said, unless I can sit down with your Max file on my computer, I don't know what else to tell you. There is something wrong with your set up, but what it is, I just don't know. All I can tell you is just play with the light settings. Try different things. Try adding more than one light. Try different colors, intensity's, shapes, etc. Eventually you will figure out what's wrong.

Below is a simple scene I just rendered. I have a Daylight System outside. inside the room I set up 1 Photometric Light in each corner. For each light, I selected the "100W Bulb" template, set the color to "Fluorescent (Daylight)" and set the Intensity to "1500cd". I left the shape as "Point".

In the Environment and Effects dialog, I set the mr Photographic Exposure Control preset to "Physically Based Lighting, Outdoor Daylight, Clear Sky" and I set the Exposure Value (EV) to 13.0.

I didn't do anything with my Final Gather settings, and I left my render settings on low quality, but if I wanted to spend more time on this, I could brighten up the room even more by tweaking those settings.

test.jpg

For anyone who may be reading this thread, the problem with liv-k's rendering was corruption in the file. After merging the file into a new, clean, file & deleting the daylight system and replacing it with a new one, everything was back to normal. :thumbsup: