perpendicular from a line

How do I draw perpendicular from a line or object at a specific point? I know by holding shift and osnap perpendicular I can draw the line but I can not osnap to the exact point! help. :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alanjt

• rkmcswain

• Nina

• mdbdesign

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One way to draw a line perpendicular from a line...

Ortho on

UCS > E (pick line to align UCS)

Draw the line

UCS > P (returns the UCS to previous)

You know that using your method of Deferred Perpendicular, you can rt-clk to get osnaps.

I wrote this for accomplishing that very thing. Mine will allow you to the closest point (based on your selection), closest end point or picked point.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showpost.php?p=305119&postcount=53

You'll need a few subroutines (stated in the info), you can find them here..

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40344

I copied the lisp program u posted and loaded in cad, the command I used was : "per" but no louck, can u give me easy step by step direction pleeeeease?:)

Here's an example of how mine works...

[ATTACH]17638[/ATTACH]

I copied the lisp program u posted and loaded in cad, the command I used was : "per" but no louck, can u give me easy step by step direction pleeeeease?:)

Make sure you copied everything. You'll have to do a little searching to find all the subroutines (second link).

Open Notepad, copy/paste everything in, save as Per.lsp and load into AutoCAD with Appload.

I use it almost everyday, so I can vouch that it works.

Why not just use the PERP object snap?

Because you can't specify a point on the object you are projecting a perpendicular line from. I used to just do that, then move my newly drawn line to where I wanted it on the selected line. Am I incorrect?

Because you can't specify a point on the object you are projecting a perpendicular line from.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem...?

Here is what I am talking about.

perposnap.gif

thank u so much.

Make sure you copied everything. You'll have to do a little searching to find all the subroutines (second link).

Open Notepad, copy/paste everything in, save as Per.lsp and load into AutoCAD with Appload.

I use it almost everyday, so I can vouch that it works.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem...?

Here is what I am talking about.

[ATTACH]17654[/ATTACH]

Right, but you can't specify an actual point on the line. That's why I put my PER command together.

Right, but you can't specify an actual point on the line. That's why I put my PER command together.

So I was misunderstood.... I overlooked the "at a specific point" part of the original request. My bad.

Ok, so why not just use polar tracking like this?

midosnap.gif

BTW: Dynamic input was only enabled so that you could see what I was doing in such a small window. I would never have that turned on while doing real work.

RK, I think that only works if drawing the perp line immediately after drawing the other one.

I use UO, short for UCS, Object to align the ucs to the line, draw what I need, then UW, short for UCS, World.