Strange problem with commands and layers

Im using autoCAD 2005 and up until today it was fine. Now when I open any drawing when i click on an object it tells me its on layer 0 although if i turn off a layer the objects turn off so they are still on the right layers just not showing as such. Another thing i noticed as well is that when i select an object then use a command it asks me to select it again. This is very annoying and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Sean

Figured it out just before I re-installed. It was the PICKFIRST command that was turned off. What a stupid command, whats it for anyway? Why would anyone want to use it?

I can see pickfirst solving the selection problem, but are you saying it solved the layer issue too? That sounds more like a block or an xref issue.

Yes it solved both. I meant that when you click on an object e.g. just a single line this happened. I find it very strange and I dont know how it got turned off. I never used the comand at all.

Have you used any lisp routines recently? Some lisps change system variables and do not reset them when complete.

You're not alone in that my friend. Understanding how to use them is one thing, but understanding how to compile the code? Now that gives me a headache!