How do I join these 2 objects?

resting

I was following a tutorial for a mug. But it uses hinge to create the handle while I choose to use loft. Problem now is, I have this handle and the body. How do I join them together?

qns.jpg

That won't be a very easy task because the mug has very low resolution and the handle has very high resolution. It will be very difficult to join these two objects successfully. You should probably go back and follow the tutorial. I'm sure they probably Turbosmooth the whole thing when they get finished which will smooth everything out.

Which tutorial are you following?

hi thanks for the quick reply. I'd just changed the shape of the handle.

The tutorial is from my school's text.

Is the resolution the problem? So can I prolly reduce the segments for the handle or increase the one for the body to make it easier? I don't know man..totally clueless how to join them.

The tutorial used hinge to form the shape of the handle and then used "Bridge" to join the opening at the bottom. I think it works because they are one entity. For my case its 2 different entities.

I think it works because they are one entity. For my case its 2 different entities.

Select the mug and then, in the Modify panel, click the "Attach" button. This will combine the two objects into one, but you will still have trouble joining the handle to the mug unless you reduce the handle resolution down to 4 sides. You might want to increase the diameter as well. Once you have a 4 sided handle you can try joining it using Bridge. If that doesn't work, you could try Boolean. And if that doesn't work, you will just have to manually create polygons to bridge the gap between the two objects.

ok cool. at least there's something for me to work on.

now, i'm supposed to explain why lofting improves production efficiency. i'd search everywhere but found no clues. any where i can read up with regards to this?

I can't really point you to one specific place to find an answer to this question. If you don't have any real experience with lofting to draw from then you just need to read through some of the various tutorials online and then come up your own answer in your own words. Doesn't your textbook cover lofting and give examples of how it can increase productivity?

Actually no. And I'm cursing them for setting questions where no answers could be found.

I've kind of joined the 2 object together with the union tool. Is there a way to make the connecting edge nicer? I cheated on this one by moving the handle into in body. And the result of cheating is a ugly outline.

qns2.jpg

I could do a bridge now that the 2 objects are one. But the result looks worse. I think its the resolution thing that you're saying causing the problem. The handle doesn't fit nicely for a bridge.

See, that's what I was trying to tell you about making the handle square. The handle needs to have the same number of polys as the cup that it will be joined with. Take a look at the image below. I created the model, applied a meshsmooth and then a turbosmooth and rendered it. Notice the nice transition between the cup and the handle.

Mug-Tut.jpg

cool thats a nice 1....now what should i do to make the handle match up nicely with the body of the mug? and does it matter if the body has a slight curve to it now?

i was able to replicate the result...with the hinge tool. But...the requirement is that the handle is to be modelled from a 2D shape and then joined to the body. it has to be ear like shape and slightly bigger size at the joints. I still can't figure out how to get the correct size for the joints..

If I were you I would start over and model the cup similar to the one I did. Leave it kind of blocky and low res. If you want the cup to have a curve to it, that's ok. When you apply the smooth modifiers, they will smooth and blend everything together. Just be sure to make the handle square so that it will plug into the cup in the same manner as the one I did. What you were trying to do was plug a round handle into a square hole, and that just won't work.

i dumped the handle and did a square 1. also lowered the body segments. then i did a connect command to join the 2 together (after adjusting the handle to the body).

still it doesn't fit perfectly (lazy to rework) but I think its good enough. thanks for the help else I'd still be stuck and end up with nothing to show.

now...to deal with those theory questions where no answers could be found...argh..

still it doesn't fit perfectly (lazy to rework) but I think its good enough.

Well, if it's good enough, ok then, but you should really start getting into the habit of making things better than just "good enough". Especially if you're planning on getting a job doing this professionally. If you start putting in the extra effort now, doing simple objects, it will make building complex objects much easier.

But, I'm glad I could help. :)

well, the problem I'm facing from making it perfect is that I couldn't create the shape of the loft to fit nicely into the polygons of the body.

hmm...speaking of which, I could try moving the vertices of the handle's connecting ends to make them fit?

ok..shall try it out now..