Question mark in linetype!?

I have 2 drawings that use the same loaded linetype from a custom linetype library. I just Saved As and swapped one character for the vertical line thingy ("|") above the back slash and to the right of the bracket on my keyboard.

One drawing always shows it correctly... BUT, on the other drawing, the | (vertical line) changed to a question mark... HELP! This line was copied and pasted from the source drawing and trimmed to fit in a Linetype Legend on the cover sheet.

Thanks!

the question mark usually happens if the font set doesn't have that character defined in it. It used to happen in our office where we had different simplex.shx files on different computers. Some had 128 characters defined while others had the full 256. If the chosen character was in the range 128-256 it would show as ? on some machines.

I would find which shape file is being accessed and then copy that file from the good machine on to the others.

Ugh, and I'm also not too familiar with "shape" files (.shx?).

This has only been noticed on just my machine. I haven't checked to see if it's happened on others. But when I plotted the first drawing set with this sheet last week, it wasn't a question mark head.