Changing the scroll wheel double click

Arohbe

We have an older engineering in our office who is constantly double clicking his scroll wheel by accident and doing a zoom extents on his layout. Its funny to hear him curse his computer over and over but I want to help him. He's running LT 2005. I don't see where I can change it. Its not part of the mouse button customization.

Setting MBUTTONPAN to 0 will disable the scroll wheel double click zoom extents but it will also disable panning while holding down the scroll wheel. It will also cause the osnap pop up menu to appear any time you click or double click the scroll wheel, which would be just as annoying as the zoom extents. It's best to just leave MBUTTONPAN set to 1. He just needs to learn to stop double clicking the scroll wheel. Maybe you could hook up a wire to his mouse so he will get a little shock every time he double clicks the scroll wheel. I bet he would stop doing it then. Although he would probably curse even louder. :P

Maybe you could hook up a wire to his mouse so he will get a little shock every time he double clicks the scroll wheel. I bet he would stop doing it then. Although he would probably curse even louder. :P

Heh, Cliff Clavin learning methodology.

Try changing his mouse;

Ive had problems in the past where the mouse thinks you are double clicking the wheel when you rotate it fast fast. Some mouses are better than others.

(and yes the plural of computer mouse is mouses not mice - strange but true).

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't disable his "pan", it's his main way of moving around. I tried the shock method but he noticed the 12 gauge Romex attached to his mouse right away. So I will try to switch mouses (dosen't sound right) with him.

• 3 years later...

For someone who want a software solution to this problem. I find a similar question on forums.autodesk.com (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2000-2000i-2002-DWG/Disabling-Wheel-Button-Double-click/td-p/205130), But there is no answer either.

copy the following code to a blank text file and save it as acadMbutton.ahk.

MButton::    

If (A_TimeSincePriorHotkey < 300) ;hyperclick

Return

Click Down Middle

KeyWait, MButton

Click Up Middle

Return

WheelDown::

If GetKeyState("MButton")

Return

Send {WheelDown}

Return

WheelUp::

If GetKeyState("MButton")

Return

Send {WheelUp}

Return

Download Autohotkey from http://l.autohotkey.net/, and run the script with Autohotkey

This script do two things:

1. disable very quick middle button double click, if you set the time to large enough, for example 2000, it will disable double click complelely

2. disable mouse wheel while the middle button is pressed down

• Like 1

The answer is not so difficult.

Of the two 'wheel mice' in my house, one has a particularly stiff spring on the wheel, the other has a particularly weak spring. They are two different brands. On occasion I double click the weak one by accident while scrolling. Change mice, and don't blame the old guy.:P;) Go to the store and mash a few mice.

Stop using "mouses". It is simply silly.

And don't blame the mice too, they are good mice;). If you just use them for web surfing or in MS Office, they can serve you for years longer

It's the Autodesk who should be blamed. If they took the trouble making an option, allowing the user to disable the double click to zoom while keep the press down to pan, there will be no such problem.

it's a software problem, so I like to solve it in a software way.

• 9 years later...