Importing points

MNMACHINIST

How are they set up?

If they're comma delineated, you could write a scriptfile that starts the point command, or pline, and then dumps the values in there afterwards.

I'm not sure how they will be set up, i'm not very good at this, so if you could give me more of a step by step i'd appreciate it. i know the basics as far as drawing in autocad, but beyond that i'm lost

There are several free lisp routines to do this. Check out this one for starters:

http://www.jefferypsanders.com/autolisp_IMPORTXYZ.html

There are some really cool people who hang out here in the forums too who can help you write a custom lisp program for more exact needs. But if your file is in x,y or x,y,z format delimited with commas then the above IMPORTXYZ will work beautifully.

We had a project in 2008 which created a file with a couple of thousand points. The client was pissed when they thought they would have to input all the points by hand or pay for software to import them. But I found lots of free stuff which took only seconds to create a drawing full of points.