Suggestion for added Forums...

tzframpton

I was thinking the other day about CADTutor.net and although I visit AUGI and The Swamp, this is still my favorite board to come to for help: unless it involves anything to do with BIM and Navisworks.

I think the one thing we're missing for sure is Navisworks. 3D Building Information Modeling and collaboration tools are becoming more popular, especially on my end of things since we are an engineering and construction company. I have been doing a ton of BIM coordination jobs, and currently I'm hosting a BIM collaboration each week using Navisworks and it's quite fun.

What do y'all say? Definitely add a "Navisworks" or "Collaboration Tools" forum?? It doesn't have to be just about Navis, it can be about procedures and execution tactics of coordination among trades, new ideas and software apps, and any other collaboration techniques. And also, what about maybe having a Building Information Modeling section?? Just a random thought, since this can go very in depth; Far beyond just the CAD application itself. 8)

I think this would attract a new type of individual seeking or giving advice and help. Thanks for the consideration if there is any.

I guess those topic areas currently fall within the "CAD Management" forum but you're right that BIM and collaboration are now becoming popular topics in the industry and maybe we need to address that with dedicated forums. Any other views on this?

It does throw up its own problems and questions, so it sounds like a good idea - though maybe a rename of the 'CAD Management' forum, or at least a postscript to the existing title would work best?

It does throw up its own problems and questions, so it sounds like a good idea - though maybe a rename of the 'CAD Management' forum, or at least a postscript to the existing title would work best?

I think we can keep "CAD Management" and put "Navisworks" and "BIM" as sub-boards. Granted, might want to think a bit more in depth about the names, but still.

I think we can keep "CAD Management" and put "Navisworks" and "BIM" as sub-boards. Granted, might want to think a bit more in depth about the names, but still.

SkykFacE, perhaps we can do-it-all but, consider cadtutor.net a home away from home.

My AutoCAD work if limited to what-I-do, simple, elevation and plan views, advanced pumbling.

We do what we do, we chat, we learn, we share (what little I know).

Forum members benifit from your input, daily. Thanks for helping, always. :?

Texas is a BIG player in my world.

• 2 weeks later...

but would such specific titles generate enough threads/posts?

This forum is already difficult to find your way round as a newbie, with so many different areas, and some of those we already have (eg some of the vertical products) don't generate many answers having become over-specific

but would such specific titles generate enough threads/posts?

This forum is already difficult to find your way round as a newbie, with so many different areas, and some of those we already have (eg some of the vertical products) don't generate many answers having become over-specific

Well, we've only had those sub-boards up for not even a year now, give or take. When someone is searching Google for something, and you don't have a forum labeled "Navisworks" or "Building Information Modeling" then the SEO will not catch in the search string. A lot of times people come here on a cold lead from a search engine. Sometimes it takes time for this information to get popular enough for a search engine to catch it.

Other than that, I think it (eventually) would help this community become even MORE of a one-stop-shop for all information related to the CAD world..... 8)

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with stykface, i found this site through my company trianing page. i don't google thing cause i find most of the stuff i need here. one-stop-shopping is for me. i work with civil but i like to do some arch. or mech. and the infor i fine here is good.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps I'm a complete idiot. I've been looking for about a half an hour for a link to click to create a new thread to solve my problem. It's driving me nuts ! Can someone tell me where to go to "create new thread"? UGHGHGHGH Thanks.

Paul: Find the appropriate forum for your question then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the New Thread button.