blocks following line

Hi, I tried looking for this but I couldn't find anything. Feel free to point to another post if it's already been answered. OK, here it goes. I'm trying to have blocks spaced and aligned correctly following a line or p-line. For example. I would create a line to denote the edge of a work area. I would then insert block after block of krail along that line. This take alot of time since I'm dealing of 1000s of ft and each k-rail if 20ft or 10ft. So far, I've been using the rectangular array command for straight lines and the polar array when I hit an arc. It is still very time consuming and it would be great to just draw a line and somehow all the blocks would follow/aligned to that line. Any thoughts?

Hi, I tried looking for this but I couldn't find anything. Feel free to point to another post if it's already been answered. OK, here it goes. I'm trying to have blocks spaced and aligned correctly following a line or p-line. For example. I would create a line to denote the edge of a work area. I would then insert block after block of krail along that line. This take alot of time since I'm dealing of 1000s of ft and each k-rail if 20ft or 10ft. So far, I've been using the rectangular array command for straight lines and the polar array when I hit an arc. It is still very time consuming and it would be great to just draw a line and somehow all the blocks would follow/aligned to that line. Any thoughts?

Utilize the MEASURE command:

Command: [b]MEASURE[/b]
Select object to measure: [b]*Select PLINE, SPLINE, etc*[/b]
Specify length of segment or [block]: [b]B[/b]
Enter name of block to insert: [b]*Type name of Block*[/b]
Align block with object? [Yes/No] <Y>: [b]Y[/b]
Specify length of segment: [b]*Pick two points or type a number*[/b]<Enter>

You could also use DIVIDE which works the same way as MEASURE but instead of entering a manual distance between blocks you enter the number of sections required and the blocks get evenly spaced.

See autocad help (F1) for a good description of the commands.

You could also use DIVIDE which works the same way as MEASURE but instead of entering a manual distance between blocks you enter the number of sections required and the blocks get evenly spaced.

See autocad help (F1) for a good description of the commands.

This does work, however it doesn't align the blocks along the line automatically.

This does work, however it doesn't align the blocks along the line automatically.

I believe you are mistaken stykface, just tested it in Acad2009 and it works fine;

Command: DIVIDE

Select object to divide:

Enter the number of segments or [block]: b

Enter name of block to insert: pr03_1x35w

Align block with object? [Yes/No] :

Enter the number of segments: 5

Well I stand corrected, it worked just as you said. My apologies. That is definitely useful when you want a certain number of blocks to align. Very nice. :thumbsup:

Well I stand corrected, it worked just as you said. My apologies. That is definitely useful when you want a certain number of blocks to align. Very nice. :thumbsup:

No problem, nobody is all-knowing!

I just know this because i use it alot to make nicely divided ranges of lighting fixtures :) .

Now where is MrOrange?

Sorry for the long reply. I haven't had a chance to log in. I did try the MEASURE command and it only put in 1 block. I also tried DIVIDE and it did indeed align all the blocks. I just have to figure out how many blocks I need and voila. Thanks for your help guys.

Not to be greedy, but is there a way for autocad to figure out how many blocks I need if I give it the spacing between the blocks? Just wondering.