Autodesk Plant 3D

spittle

I was unsure of where I should post this, I'll try here.

Has anyone used this software?

I'm interested to know how it performs in terms of how your computer copes with the use of the software and what spec machine you're using.

It's expensive so would like to be aware of all related additional cost if we went that route.

Hi Spittle

Apologies about this post, it's only mildly related to your query. I've noticed your posts in the inventor forum and also a few other places. It seems like you do piping design.

Do you have any comments on your experiences of using all the various software packages that you have been trying?

Thanks

Hugh

I'd say: Solidworks is great for producing sections from your model. The routing add in is a big learning curve especially because we required flanged fittings that involved 'fudging' the routing add on - however it worked and I managed to produce some nice drawings that you'd be pushed to notice any difference between our standard AutoCAD drawings. However the use of Solidworks has pretty much been scrapped within my company for a few reasons.

It's not feasable to model everything in 3D, also other contractors may be producing models in other 3D packages. We received some in STL format and importing a large STL file made Solidworks grind to a halt. You can import IGES or dwg however you can't dictate how other designers work.

At this point logic would say "why don't you just overlay a 2D drawing, or XREF over the top?". There was the problem - it's not an Auotdesk product - the key player is autodesk and most of the world uses this and you can't XREF in AutoCAD drawings.

Hence we've been exploring other avenues. Appart from that I've yet to try MEP (on it's way) or plant 3D (am going to use demo soon). I hear good things about these.

It may be worth investigating how well Inventor plays with 2D AutoCAD XREFS - this is key, certainly in my industry - civil eng water. I rated Solidworks, it was easy to use apart from the routing add on so it depends on what you're doing, and whether some design work is going to be done by others. Also I hadn't yet not created any socket fittings, I had a few ideas on how to allow 4 deg movement at sockets however hadn't tried it - and probably would have faced more problems.

*edit* Civil 3D is great for producing long sections of cross country pipe work and sewer networks btw.

3DS Max is also great for knocking up a quick visualization. However used with the aid of other autodesk modelling packages will speed up the process again.

I'd say Civil 3D, Max, and Solidoworks all require training and C3D and Max have a particularly steep learning curve initially.

Thanks for the reply, it is very helpful.

I am always grappling with which software to use (I design water features). At this point in time I am using AutoCAD Architecture - simply because I haven't found a way of extracting pipe lengths from vanilla AutoCAD. I have customized ACA (using vb.net) so that pipe inverts, slopes etc come out as tool tips. My parts lists are generated using ACA's scheduling and data functions. It works well but I would love to be able to use only vanilla AutoCAD.

ACA links brilliantly into 3DS Max (I noticed you also use Max).

I still haven't made my mind up about if I'm going to continue building custom programs for pipe routing etc or if I should try using one of Autodesks alternatives.

I'd appreciate it if you continue to post your findings.

Hugh

---------------------------------------

3D AutoCAD Pipework - http://www.HerculeDesign.com/