Dimensions, Rounding Question

ILoveMadoka

I have a line that is 4.415 units long.

Dimension Precision at two decimal places.

Should dimension 4.42.

Dimension = 4.41

I've changed DIMRND to all sorts of settings with no change.

Precision set to .00

Round Off: .0000

If I change the decimal places to three places and place a new

dimension I get 4.415. Change it back to 2 places and it changes to 4.41.

"He's with me, I'm Stupid!"

Help! Help! Help!!

TIA

1 to 5 = 0

5 to 9 = 1

What are you lookin' for?

"If I change the decimal places to three places and place a new

dimension I get 4.415. Change it back to 2 places and it changes to 4.41."

I need the dimension to have two decimal places and have the dimension for 4.415 display (or dimension) to 4.42

I have changed both the UNITS and DIMUNIT but cannot get this dimension

to round off correctly!!

Overide is VERBOTEN!!

Here:

LINE Layer: "Dims"

Space: Paper space

Layout: Sheet2

Handle = 7e42

from point, X= 4.53694 Y= 1.29230 Z= 0.00000

to point, X= 8.95194 Y= 1.29230 Z= 0.00000

Length = 4.41500, Angle in XY Plane = 0

Delta X = 4.41500, Delta Y = 0.00000, Delta Z = 0.00000

LINE Layer: "Dims"

Space: Paper space

Layout: Sheet2

Handle = 7e60

from point, X= 6.04984 Y= 1.52122 Z= 0.00000

to point, X= 10.46484 Y= 1.52122 Z= 0.00000

Length = 4.41500, Angle in XY Plane = 0

Delta X = 4.41500, Delta Y = 0.00000, Delta Z = 0.00000

When I dimension both of these lines...

one dimensions to 4.41 and the other dimensions to 4.42!!!!

Go figure!!

Any ideas??

I would make the part being dimensioned, actually BE the dimension you want it to round-off to, to ensure that when you add up all these "rounded-up and rounded-down" dimensions, that the overall length isn't compromised by it.

I just hate it when three "equal width" panels are rounded up on two of them, and rounded down on the third. I can fake the dimension, but I really don't like doing that if/when I can avoid it, so I'll sometimes add .01 to the width of the panels to ensure they all come out the same, and then suck out the 1/32" out of neighboring elements.

I round to 1/32, but fix any dimension that isn't rounded to a 16th.. I just use the 32nd to catch myself.

set dimrnd to .02 and it'll at least make everything "close" to the same, by making the last digit an even number and never an odd.. though if you have an actual measurement of .01 it'll still flip an coin and round up or down from that.

using .00 is the same as .01

This is definately a short-coming of AutoCAD. It should have a setting telling it to always round-up, or only round up if a number is greater than 4. I've always hated the way it takes a 5 and does whatever it wants to with it.. I makes equal measurements seem unequal.

Not to mention that standard decimal inches, at 3 decimal places, routinely shows a 16th of an inch at .062 or .063

In reality, (or at least in my usage) it doesn't matter all that much, but if you have several in a row, randomly jumping around.. it looks pretty goofy.

I sometimes go to 4 decimal places, just to hide that, and it works as long as I don't do 32's.. Problem is, most companies see 4 decimal places, and assume we want a .0001 tolerance, and charge us accordingly.. so I reset it to two-digit before sending it out for fabrication..

Why is this so hard? I did it in less than a minute (that's with verification of a line that was drawn at a length of 4.415 units). All it took was setting units correctly, setting dimstyle precision correctly and everything just fell in to place.

I would make the part being dimensioned, actually BE the dimension you want it to round-off to, to ensure that when you add up all these "rounded-up and rounded-down" dimensions, that the overall length isn't compromised by it.

Mike,

What I tried to show by posting the "list" of the two lines is that they are the same length and are the correct length.

I just don't know how two different lines that are the exact same length can dimension two different values. If I delete the line and redraw it it will be correct. A workaround, yes. But what I'm wanting to discover is WHY it's doing this. Erasing and starting over while it may be a solution, I don't think it's the best solution especially given

the experience of those who hang out on these forums...

The fact that it works for someone else on another machine is of little help to me.

That's like calling tech support with a problem and having them say

"It works fine on my machine! Thanks for calling!!"

You do not have to set dimrnd to .02 to get it to work.

Set units type to decimal.

Set units precision to 0.00. (Actually, this could remain at the default 0.0000 and it wouldn't make any difference.)

Invoke the Dimstyle command.

Click on Modify. Find and click on the Primary units tab.

Set linear dimension precision to 0.00.

Set linear dimension roundoff to 0.00.

Click the OK button. Click close.

Now go dimension the line that you drew originally (to an exact length of 4.125). The dimension AutoCAD displays will be 4.2 just as you asked for.

Remark.. sometimes it will round up, sometimes it will round down.

The "5" is a wildcard in terms of autocad rounding correctly.

Draw a line that's 4.125, copy it into five places, and then do a dim on each line, and see what it does when rounding it to two decimal places.

I can't always get it to happen, but it does eventually.

I haven't found that to be the case but then again I don't normally draw with an accuracy to 3 or 4 decimal places then turn around and dimension to an accuracy of 2 decimal places. I'll take you word on it though. Each user has his/her own criteria/standards to work to.

Mike, I really disagree with this suggestion. If the part is actually 0.415 in length it should be drawn at 0.415.

Sorry, not picking on you I'm sure you know the first rule in drafting/modeling is the part must be drawn at 1:1 scale. Something that is less mentioned is the precision at which something should be drawn. In my case I work in the mechanical field, my routine is to enter values to about 6 decimal places (approx 1/64).

"Mike, I really disagree with this suggestion. If the part is actually 0.415 in length it should be drawn at 0.415."

I agree with Patrick.

• 12 years later...

Hi all, 

Is there a way to always rud up the dimensions? 

In my case, I need to round to the upper (0.5) multiple.  

Given certain ranges:

[4.01, 4.49999] it should be "4.5"
[4.51, 4.9999] it should be "5.0"

and so on.. 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by icalara1921