Brainstorm: Menus, Toolpalettes or Ribbon? What is best to use?

Hi there,

Just a question...

In my early days of using AutoCAD I used to "start" my custom made functions (commands) only on the command bar. I mean *.lsp files that were loaded upon startup.

Later I have learned to program my own menu structure within *.mnu files which I use even today. It is pretty old fashioned but it works allright though. All menus and toolbars work with macros which are defined in the *.mnu files.

Lately I have been exploring the toolpalettes for that is supposed to be the way to make your custom menus today. I copy and past the macros, and all is well. It is a bit easyer to learn.

But since AutoCAD came up with the ribbon, I wonder if it is wise to go further with the menus and even the use of toolpalettes.

Are the toolpalettes to be supported in the near future? I mean: would they enhance it or improve it, or is this what it is?

Maybe it is even better to put all my stuff into the ribbon? I guess the ribbon is the future, for shure. So build in some custom tabs and panels?

Any help / thoughts / advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

MarcoW.

ps. I have put it in this forum and not in the Customize forum for it concerns no programming: this is about the use of toolpalettes etc.

I think both have their uses. In AC 2009 I designed a custom Ribbon to put my most often used commands front and center. It made finding things across multiple tabs and panels much easier. I also created two toolpalettes for isometric piping symbols.

Hi ReMark,

Thanks for the reply.

It is a good idea to mix these two ways... I can understand that and I should consider that too.

Do you have any idea about wether the toolpalettes are "future proof" or not?

CU,

Marco

"Future Proof"? :lol:

My dear fellow nothing is "future proof" as far as the programmers at AutoDesk are concerned! :lol:

Expect it to change down the road and plan as best you can for the inevitable.

I like the old stuff but, I see the ribbon in the future.

Many newer programs, i.e.: MS Office, are using the ribbon.

Getting used to using one, two, however many.

Once accustomed to using the ribbon I think we'll all like it.

Time is moving on, soon we'll be doing our work in a cloud.

I myself have a larger drawing area with 2008 and it tool bars than I do with 2010 and the ribbon. I do like the new features in 2010 but I just am not a fan of the ribbon.

I myself have a larger drawing area with 2008 and it tool bars than I do with 2010 and the ribbon. I do like the new features in 2010 but I just am not a fan of the ribbon.

Not a fan of the ribbon but, it's coming. We're going to have to get used to the ribbon.

I use it sparingly in other programs; i.e.: MS Office Professional.

Guess I'm just a classic AutoCAD user. :wink:

I Also use the ribbon in MS Office but in CAD i don't use it. Maybe someday,will drawing be easier when using the ribbon?

The Ribbon's OK if you have 2 monitors, drag it to the second one for more drawing real estate and turn Menubar on. I used it basically as the Dashboard in 2008.

I Also use the ribbon in MS Office but in CAD i don't use it. Maybe someday,will drawing be easier when using the ribbon?

Is it possible to use MS Office in classic style?

Won't be long, the old menu days' will be gone, gone the way of the 5-1/4" floppys and DOS.

I still use the DOS prompt if changing a file name; i.e.:

ren yada_yada_yada.bak yada_yada_yada.dwg. Simple for me..........getting too old I guess, no not guess, know! :glare:

Does anyone still use a tape drive for backups? With all the 1T external drives on sale?

Is it possible to use MS Office in classic style?....

That's what i forgot to ask...If there is, im gonna switch to classic style :wink:

The CUI make's it pretty easy to create commands which you can then use in menu's, toolbars, Ribbon panels and tool palettes. It's pretty easy to distribute too. I guess it depends on how your users want to use your commands.