Parametrics in Acad 2010

I did Autodesk's Tutorials on parametrics and thought I would give it a try for a project.

Open the attached dwg (Show All Geometric Constraints), and I think it's kind of self explanatory on the drawing. The drawing will represent a simple steel truss, which is very common.

The "13" mm gap always has to be 13

sides "a" and "b" have to be horizontal, but the length will change with the proper geometry.

the distance between "c" and "d" has to be 64. But I can't get that to happen. I've tried aligned and linear dimensional constraints, but they don't rotate with the angle of the diagonal member.

I tried a couple more things before I hit "Submit".

I added an Aligned Dim Const with 2Lines option of 64. But I had to drag the 13mm points back to the proper place 3 or 4 times to make it right.

Applying a Fix point to one corner of the 13mm gap only makes the object movable along that exact angle, so that doesn't work.

IS there something I'm not doing right?

new block.dwg

I added a few more dimensional constraints and couple of vertical constraints to what you already had.

It shows that if you extend the width of your verticals, the diagonal will follow maintaining the 13 and 64 unit constraints.

constraint.gif

If you wanted both sides to move outward you would likely have to setup two additional dimensional constraints or use the parameters calculator to specify a certain value on one dimension when the other is changed.

dim_mgr.png

It takes some getting used to and I for one don't use it to often but if you need to make a lot of changes it can sure save time once setup.

KC