Sharp broken lines in render

nowikovs12

Hi, I just came across with another issue, I am trying to render a model, and I am getting, sharp broken lines where the window is, why is that? and what can I do to have nice straight lines? I have set up, a plane, model with standard material applied, skylight, and scanline renderer, thanks :)

I'm not sure what you mean? Can you post the render and a screenshot of the model?

It's best to start new threads when you have new questions. I have moved this question to it's own thread.

So you're talking about the jagged edges in the reflections? That's called aliasing and it means your render settings are too low. Can you post a screenshot of your render settings? I don't use Scanline, but maybe I can spot the problem areas.

This can also happen when you have a light background behind a dark object because the edge of the dark object can't blend correctly with the bright background, so you get that stair stepping appearance.

Untitled-1.jpg

yes, the Jagged edges, sorry about that, I tried to find the words, english isn't perfect :) here are the screenshots, hope you can spot something :)

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

Sorry, it's very difficult to see the settings, but it looks like you are using the basic Area filter? Try using some of the other filters and see if you get better results. Take a few minutes and read through this: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/ENU/Autodesk%203ds%20Max%202011%20Help/index.html?url=./files/WSf742dab0410631334fe17e2d112a1ceaf4d-7fe1.htm,topicNumber=d0e358868

Also, you didn't post a screenshot of the "Common" tab, which is actually sort of important since it shows what Output size you have chosen. I generally use the "Print Size Assistant" from the "Rendering" menu. It allows you to specify your output size and required resolution, then Max takes that information and decides how large the rendered image needs to be in order to give you a clean sharp image.

Hi, I will have a read through thanks, sorry about the images, I will send you the common one, to look at, I will do some test renders :)

.jpg

pfff,.... it's not working very well, I played with the filters, none of them seam to be changing that issue, i unchecked the mapping, shadows, auto reflect, and left antiliasing on, and the jagged edges are still there, + it takes forever to render one image, i am only rendering 640x480, I hided most of the model, left only the window the yellow pillars and window frames, still takes a long time to render, :glare: were can I find the print size assistant? that you suggested? rendering menu, is it under common? I'll try that, to speed things up,

Go to the Rendering menu at the top of the screen. The print size assistant is at the bottom of the menu. But be prepared. If you choose an 8-1/2"x11" paper size and 150 DPI, you will be rendering an image that is 1650x1275, and your render time will increase substantially, but you will get a much better image.

Hi Cad64 :wink: I found the solution :lol: I think,... I had selected "advanced lighting", and selected light tracer :) , then when you go on renderer settings, under "global supersampler" and tick enable global supersampler, it fixes it 8) I went to sleep yesterday, it was 02:00, very tired, so could reply now, good news, my university has been set on fire :lol: thanks for help and your time :D

no, Im just joking :roll: went to uni to hand in the essay, and shortly, alarm went off, so we all had to evacuate. :glare: they made a big fuss about it :o there were about 7 fire trucks, 5 police cars and 2 ambulances by the main building, they all left shortly,... so probably nothing serious :wink: