How to set default size/style for dimensions text ?

Hi,

I'm new to Autocad (working on version 2007).

I dont know what I did, but since yesterday all the dimensions I set (using "linear" like I've been doing the past month) are displayed with a very very small text (size 0.18 where I had 300 before).

(at the beginning I couldn't see the text so I thought it had disapeared!)

And when selecting vertical dimensions, the text appear horizontal (instead of vertical like it was before).

I don't remember changing anything.. :(

Is it possible to set a default size ?? and get what I had before ?

Or maybe set something that would be linked to the scale and show something "nice" whatever scale I'm using ?

(I was working on Catia before and never had that :s)

Thanks very much for your help !!

Cyril

Take a look at your dimension "Style" It has probably been changed from the one you used before, accidentally. Or, the style itself got modified.

just found that dimension style menu... thanks !!

Is there a way to say that the size of the text is always teh same, depending on the soom...?

I'm thinking on what exists on Catia or SolidWorks, where you never change the size of a text, it's always at a "watchable" size..?

just found that dimension style menu... thanks !!

Is there a way to say that the size of the text is always teh same, depending on the soom...?

I'm thinking on what exists on Catia or SolidWorks, where you never change the size of a text, it's always at a "watchable" size..?

That happens in a program for surveyors called Metes and Bounds. It makes me crazy, don't care for it. I guess because it will also print that way if you don't set it not to.

Well, the dimension "Style" and "Text Style" in AutoCAD are set up so that you can build text and dimension styles to match requirements, such as scale, of your printed output. They will, however, zoom in and out with the rest of the drawing, and they will scale with it in your paperspace layout viewport.

I won't say you cannot have dimensions that stay "Watchable" since I have only been using AutoCAD for a few years. I am still finding stuff I have never seen before.

Somebody will chime in with a definitive answer, I am sure.

Mine isn't a good example since we have it set in the Textstyle (type Style) to be 0.1, but if set to 0., you can change it to something else.

DIMSTYLE.PNG

I think what the op is looking for is text that stays the same size relative to the monitor screen, as you zoom in and out of a drawing.

I don't think AutoCAD will do that.

Whupps, sorry. You were just adding some info to the first issue.

I think what the op is looking for is text that stays the same size relative to the monitor screen, as you zoom in and out of a drawing.

I don't think AutoCAD will do that.

Yeah, you can't do that since it would screw up on the plotting side (not sure why one would want that anyway).

I know that in Land Desktop/Civil 3D, the points can display that way, but that's a completely different animal.

Yeah, you can't do that since it would screw up on the plotting side (not sure why one would want that anyway).

I know that in Land Desktop/Civil 3D, the points can display that way, but that's a completely different animal.

Yeah, like the rudementary program I mentioned before, Metes & Bounds.

A surveyor sent me a DWF from that thing once and it was truely messed up. There was a thread on here a few days ago about how bad a drawing can get messed up from that sort of thing. It had about 3000 HUGE point coordinate call-outs that were 40 to 50 FEET long according to the drawing scale, and all overlapped. Totally unreadable. Mess indeed.

Yeah, like the rudementary program I mentioned before, Metes & Bounds.

A surveyor sent me a DWF from that thing once and it was truely messed up. There was a thread on here a few days ago about how bad a drawing can get messed up from that sort of thing. It had about 3000 HUGE point coordinate call-outs that were 40 to 50 FEET long according to the drawing scale, and all overlapped. Totally unreadable. Mess indeed.

I've had that happen - received drawings and some of the blocks are 100x what they should be.

Hey gang,

This is an important point (excuse the pun). I often get either an ASCII file of points or maybe even an AutoCAD file from surveyors and it's amazing how two sets of people can be striving for the same goal yet be so far apart on procedures.

The surveyor will usually be using 3D Civil or AC-Land and they will be clueless as to how to transmit this data to someone working in architectural or manufacturing end of the deal. And of course it works the other way too but my experience has been that the sureyor will give us some data and then the team I'm working with will not have a clue as to what to do with it. And if they do then they complain that the points are too big or its illegible and cannot be read.

So the question becomes once you get data in from points, what is the best way to handle points that are 100 feet long. PDMODE or PDSIZE works but I'd be interested to know how others handle this kind of work.

FYI - On a recent job the contract asked for the surveyor to submit and ASCII file with points, which they did. When the architectural detailers got this file none of them knew what to do with it. Of course the surveyor guys couldn't understand why we didn't just import them because that's what their AC-LAND allowed them to do. But plain old AC has no such feature and you need a 3rd party LISP to do this. A few searches later I came across several LISP routines both free versions and for-sale versions. But even when I showed the architectural guys how to run the LISP file they sat around complaining about the size of the nodes, and one of them even complained that the points were "tilted", referring to the fact that the grid of the survey did not run straight north-south so of course it did not appear on his monitor as he wanted it to.

Hey gang,

This is an important point (excuse the pun). I often get either an ASCII file of points or maybe even an AutoCAD file from surveyors and it's amazing how two sets of people can be striving for the same goal yet be so far apart on procedures.

The surveyor will usually be using 3D Civil or AC-Land and they will be clueless as to how to transmit this data to someone working in architectural or manufacturing end of the deal. And of course it works the other way too but my experience has been that the sureyor will give us some data and then the team I'm working with will not have a clue as to what to do with it. And if they do then they complain that the points are too big or its illegible and cannot be read.

So the question becomes once you get data in from points, what is the best way to handle points that are 100 feet long. PDMODE or PDSIZE works but I'd be interested to know how others handle this kind of work.

FYI - On a recent job the contract asked for the surveyor to submit and ASCII file with points, which they did. When the architectural detailers got this file none of them knew what to do with it. Of course the surveyor guys couldn't understand why we didn't just import them because that's what their AC-LAND allowed them to do. But plain old AC has no such feature and you need a 3rd party LISP to do this. A few searches later I came across several LISP routines both free versions and for-sale versions. But even when I showed the architectural guys how to run the LISP file they sat around complaining about the size of the nodes, and one of them even complained that the points were "tilted", referring to the fact that the grid of the survey did not run straight north-south so of course it did not appear on his monitor as he wanted it to.

I thought we were already bad off!!:shock: I am basicly Architectural, but I do understand the survey/Civil world. (sorta)

The problem I (we) had was just the text size in the call-outs being a couple hundred feet too big.

So far, I have only needed to do one ALTA survey, with success I might add. My first attempt at receiving a data file for it was a total failure because I had no clue how to interpret the coordinates. They had comma's in 'em for gosh sakes, to the left of the decimal. So when I entered The Point of Beginning, it went to South Africa. I do know now, that AutoCAD can be told what part of the world your drawing is in so that won't happen. It usually ain't 0,0. I still don't know how to do it, I just know it can.