trouble opening old cad files in autocad2010

hi guys

my boss just gave me an important project which must be completed today...

the autocad files he gave me are not opening in the autocad 2010. he uses autocad 2007. i have no idea what to do... the work is due tomorrow morning and i haven't slept in 2 days. please help :(

Perhaps you can load the drawing in true view (autodesk freebie DWG viewer) and resave the DWG as a 2010?

Seems odd that it's not working right out of the box though..

Nothing amiss on your end? AutoCAD 2010 working OK?

it's still not working... *sigh* seriously have no idea what i am going to do..

Are you sure the file itself isn't screwed up? Opening it in True View should tell you THAT much at least.

the file was working fine when i used my boss's laptop which had autocad 2007 but as soon as i tried to open it in autocad 2010 everything started going horribly wrong. I've used my autocad 2010 and it works fine but for some reason refuses to open the autocad 2007 files.

Are you sure the file itself isn't screwed up? Opening it in True View should tell you THAT much at least.

oh i have no idea how to open it in true view ]=

TRUE VIEW

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6703438%26siteID=123112

It's possible that there's issues regarding getting the file from one place to another or how you're accessing it.

If I was the IT guy at your company, I'd tell you to make sure you're not trying to access the file while it's sitting on a keydrive or a CD. Sometimes you run into an issue where CAD has an issue because it's trying to open it's temporary files in a location it can't use correctly (ie- CD, keydrive, floppy, protected folder on a network, etc.)

Finally, make sure the file is actually on your computer (check the filesize to make sure you aren't just trying to open a shortcut you accidentally emailled or networked to yourself).

good luck.. keep us posted.

I am thinking of installing autocad 2007. maybe that will help god willing. thak you to Cad64 and MikeScott for your help!! you guys have been great. I will let you know if this problem has been resolved soon. it looks like i'll be up all night working on this. cheers guy [=

the file was working fine when i used my boss's laptop which had autocad 2007 but as soon as i tried to open it in autocad 2010 everything started going horribly wrong. I've used my autocad 2010 and it works fine but for some reason refuses to open the autocad 2007 files.

Not been suggested yet.

Try using RECOVER instead of OPEN

Edit-

Also make sure that you have the latest service packs installed.

TRUE VIEW

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6703438%26siteID=123112

It's possible that there's issues regarding getting the file from one place to another or how you're accessing it.

If I was the IT guy at your company, I'd tell you to make sure you're not trying to access the file while it's sitting on a keydrive or a CD. Sometimes you run into an issue where CAD has an issue because it's trying to open it's temporary files in a location it can't use correctly (ie- CD, keydrive, floppy, protected folder on a network, etc.)

Finally, make sure the file is actually on your computer (check the filesize to make sure you aren't just trying to open a shortcut you accidentally emailled or networked to yourself).

good luck.. keep us posted.

I have realised what the problem is. the files that he told me to copy were not complete. there is one other missing file hence the damn thing wouldn't open and i was up all night! i'm having yet another crappy day of exhaustion.

Thank you guys for your help and support. excuse me while i go and kill my boss [=

Not been suggested yet.

Try using RECOVER instead of OPEN

Edit-

Also make sure that you have the latest service packs installed.

Thank you for the suggestion Nukecad much appreciated.