Annotative Dimensions

Bill Tillman

I am making a real effort to understand the annotative properties of AutoCAD. My understanding is that I can create an annotative dimension style and then by using it all the dimensions in the model space will appear the same size when I plot them in paperspace no matter what scale I set the viewport in paperspace to.

But as you can see by the attached file that is not what I got. I created an annotative dimension and set the text height to 2". Really large I know but in order to see the text I needed a big font to work with. I then made two viewports on one of the layout tabs and set the scale on one to 1-1/2"=1'-0" and the other to 3/4"=1'-0". I then adjusted the view so that my dimensioned objects appears in each viewport but of course the dimensions in one viewport are only 1/2 the size of the other.

Can someone set me straight on this. I've done lots of searching but all I find is information on how to setup annotative dimensions.

Annotative_Dimensions.dwg

1. The Annotation scales for the viewports are set at 1'=1'... set to 1 1/2"=1' and 3/4"=1' as needed.

2. Click on a dimension- in Properties you'll see that the only Annotation scale assigned to the dimension is 1'=1'. You'll need to add 1 1/2"=1' and 3/4"=1' (or use Annoautoscale set to 4).

3. Edit the Dimstyle to use the size text etc. to the plotted size you want it.

j1.JPG

Your Annotation visibility is set for all scales, hence you will see the dim in all scales.

set your visibility to '0'

ANNOALLVISIBLE : 0

Now your dims should disappear from the viewport until the correct annotation scale is added as stated in the above post.

KC

Okay, got it. Thanks.

The only issue (at least for me) is that when I select one of the dimensions in model space, three dimensions appear. One for 1-1/2"=1'-0" and one for 3/4"=1'-0" as well as the original one. This can make for some very confusing display especially when I selected both dimensions and now had six dimension measurements on screen. Is there a way to have AutoCAD not be so **** about showing all the annotation scales?

Also, I was hoping to have some large dimension text appear in model space so I can easily read them. But when I set the text height to 2" the dimensions appear 2" also in paperspace. I guess I'm still missing the finer points of annotative feature. I was looking for a way to have 2" text in model space appear only 1/8" in paperspace.