dimension toolbar

hi guys. me again.

i am having problems with the AutoCAD dimension toolbar ..whenever i use any of the dimension tools to try and find out the dimension of something i see nothing but a line. all it does is add a line..it doesn't show any numbers for the dimensions. so far i've used the linear dimension tool, the quick dimension tool, aligned etc... all of them but none of them work. they only add a line when i specify.

any ideas what's going on?

p.s i've tried this on autocad 2007, 2009 and 2010 and none of the dimension tool seem to be working properly.

Many thanks,

Tara.

my first thought is that the scale on the Dimension is way to small for your screen so it looks like it's just a line but the text is there, just very minute.

After you have done the Dimension, can you highlight it? Does it still show up as a Dimension in the Properties box (type PR to bring it up) If you change the scale/size of the dimension, does anything show up?

That is because the text height is 0.000, you can change this in the text styles manager.

Format > text styles > modify > text select the height you want for the text.

You can also select the line and type "list" or "li" this will give you the information.

You can also use Inquiry, this will measure distance, and angle between 2 points.

my first thought is that the scale on the Dimension is way to small for your screen so it looks like it's just a line but the text is there, just very minute.

After you have done the Dimension, can you highlight it? Does it still show up as a Dimension in the Properties box (type PR to bring it up) If you change the scale/size of the dimension, does anything show up?

when i highlight the dimension itself nothing comes up but the line. i don't think it's there at all to be honest.....

it is not recommended to change the height in the way you have suggested. If you give a text style a height it can only ever have that value. It is better to have a zero height in the text style so that you can have one style at different heights.

I would agree with Tiger that your text is probably too small in the dimension style. You need to set up your dimension style to units appropriate to your drawing.

That is because the text height is 0.000, you can change this in the text styles manager.

Format > text styles > modify > text select the height you want for the text.

You can also select the line and type "list" or "li" this will give you the information.

You can also use Inquiry, this will measure distance, and angle between 2 points.

you are absolutely spot on! i have changed the text size... one question now a line of 1000 shows up as 1000. 0000 how can i change the units to just 1000?

thank you very much!

it is not recommended to change the height in the way you have suggested. If you give a text style a height it can only ever have that value. It is better to have a zero height in the text style so that you can have one style at different heights.

I would agree with Tiger that your text is probably too small in the dimension style. You need to set up your dimension style to units appropriate to your drawing.

ok ... how do you suggest i do that sir? and thank you for taking the time to reply to this [=

you are absolutely spot on! i have changed the text size... one question now a line of 1000 shows up as 1000. 0000 how can i change the units to just 1000?

thank you very much!

Change the Precision under Primary Units to 0

Change the Precision under Primary Units to 0

Thank you very much [=

you guys are fantastic! i love this forum i've learnt alot from you wonderful people. i wish i could give you guys something back! lots of hugs for you all

Give something back? Sure can. The next round of pints down at the pub are on you my friend. LOL

ahahahaha! no problemo! heck ... i'll pay for the next 3 rounds you guys deserve it! :lol:

ok ... how do you suggest i do that sir? and thank you for taking the time to reply to this [=

Looks like most missed this question.

Leave the text height at 0.00 in your "Test Style". Then edit your "Dimension Style" to use that text style within it, if it is not already.

Adjust the text height in your "Dimension Style" to whatever you wish.

Remember, the text height is measured in units. Unless your model and paper space units are the same you will have to use a different text height in each place. Those units will differ when you go to plotting scaled drawings, rather than full size, aka 1:1.