Saving AutoCAD Interface "Templates"?

I apologize for any incorrect terms.

Since I go to a public school our computers are all setup from one image file, meaning that everything resets every day, including AutoCAD settings.

After playing around with it for a bit I noticed that it seems possible to save layouts for tabs, menus, etc. in a CIUX file, but I can't figure it out. The idea is to have one file that each student can load every day.

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• RobDraw

• Tiger

• Alex0856

Here, I will give you a bump, and as much of the answer as I can remember right now. If there is some activity in the thread, more people will read it, and come clean up after me.:D

Have you tried saving a "My Workspace" profile? It will let you save the current workspace as Alex0856s Workspace. I am on the wrong computer now, and I probably should not try to tell you how to find it before I actually do it myself. I don't use it since my computer is MINE all MINE:twisted:

but, I believe you can get to the option through the Workspace dropdown menu or Tab, or the big red "A" (home) if you are in Annotation view rather than classic.

Once you have one saved, it will be in the Workspace dropdown selection list until one of your classmates deletes it.:o

There is also an option to automatically save ANY changes you make to the current workspace. Thusly, you can modify your personal one on the fly and the changes will be saved. I cannot tell you how to get to that option right now since I am on this tiny little computer in the Kitchen. My wife is using MINE to do geneology research even though I warned her she might not really want to know about my family.:lol:

You can hit F1, Index and search for workspace. It'll be in there someplace. I swear, I know how it is. I have to force myself to hit the Help key too.:roll:

Here's the old school way of doing it. After you have everything set-up they way you want it, save it as a profile in your options. To do this go to the Profiles tab in options. Select "Add to List" and create a profile with a name of your choosing. You can then "Export" that profile to a safe place on the computer, network, or even portable media of some sort. That profile can then be imported onto any machine and you will have your settings just the way you like them in a jiffy.

Old school or not, Profiles is the way that I would go - I'm guessing you have some sort of local area where you can store your own files, that would be an exellent place to store it.

For use of Public School, I would not touch Profiles at all. There's no need. Profiles store drawing environment settings (default paths, etc). Workspaces takes a "snapshot" of the current setup of the interface. When you get your interface setup the way you like it, type WSSAVE and name the Workspace what you want. Then, use a USB drive to save the *.CUIx file (Copy/Paste from the default location of the CUIx file) so you can Load/Unload the workspace each time you're at the computer.

I'm not sure how they work in 2010 but profiles save interface settings, also.

They do??? What version are we talking about here?

Like I said. I don't know about 2010 but I've used them up to 2008 for toolbars, load apps, etc.

2008 works the same as 2010. I've never known of an exported Profile (*.ARG file) to save a Workspace. That is done exclusively in the *.CUI/*.CUIx file. I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, but to the extent of my knowledge the Workspace is not apart of the Profile at all.

There in lies the confusion. I never referred to workspaces.

But you said "interface" and "toolbars" which all are apart of Workspaces and not Profiles.

I'm telling you that I am able to use profiles for this purpose. You should try it before muttering up this thread.

I'm telling you that I am able to use profiles for this purpose. You should try it before muttering up this thread.

I'm not trying to metter up this thread. That's what I said "to the extent of my knowledge" in my previous post. I have never known you could take a snapshot of a Workspace and save it in an ARG file. How does this work? I've always used the CUI since that's where Workspaces are saved.

Back in the days before workspaces, we used profiles to save our work environments. I posted the directions in my first post.

I remember trying that in 2008 a couple of years ago and never got it to work. I will test it at my lunch break.

Just so I know I'm not going insane, here are my two custom Workspaces that are saved in the CUIx file:

cuix.jpg

from help:

Workspaces work with and complement the control over your drawing environment that profiles provide.

Workspaces control the display of menus, toolbars, and palettes in the drawing area. When you use or switch a workspace, you change the display of your drawing area. You manage your workspaces from the Customize User Interface dialog box.

Profiles save environment settings including many of your user options, drafting settings, paths, and other values. Profiles are updated each time you make a change to an option, setting, or other value. You can manage your profiles from the Options dialog box.

Note - When you make changes to the drawing display, the changes are stored in your profile and are displayed the next time you launch the program, regardless of your workspace settings. The profile changes are not automatically saved to a workspace unless you select the Automatically Save Workspace Changes option in the Workspace Settings dialog box. To preserve profile settings in a workspace, at the Command prompt, enter WSSAVE

I seem to remember that my profile (haven't had to use them for a while) controlled my layout of toolbars and such as well - even though from Help it looks like it's not suppose to.

from help:

I seem to remember that my profile (haven't had to use them for a while) controlled my layout of toolbars and such as well - even though from Help it looks like it's not suppose to.

Yeah but did you put that exported Profile (the actual *.ARG file) and moved it to another computer running AutoCAD and then imported?? I will bet my bottom dollar that your Workspace will not carry over which saves the Interface layout if it was in version 2007 and up. You have to bring the CUI / CUIx file with it; that's what I always remember.

I know that i exported my profile-arg-file on several occasions and loaded em up on different computers - and always got complaints that there weren't enough toolbars showing :wink:

My apologies Styk. I just screwed up my interface by switching workspaces, which I had never done before. Tried to restore it by switching the workspace back. That didn't work. Then I tried setting my profile to current that didn't work. However, I was able to restore it by re-importing my profile and setting it as current.