PDA

View Full Version : Creating a sphere from scratch

CADTutor
10th Nov 2005, 09:22 pm
OK, as a new convert to SketchUp, I'm still getting to grips with some of the basics. One of the things I've found difficult is creating a dome or sphere from scratch. I know I should be using a profile and path shape with the Follow Me tool but I'm finding it very difficult to get what I want. Of course, I could simply pull out one of the Shapes from the Components palette but I'd like to work from first principles to best understand how the thing works.

Can someone give me a step-by-step for creating a sphere?

boofredlay
10th Nov 2005, 11:12 pm
OTAY.

Draw a circle, what ever size you want the sphere to be.
Copy/Rotate that circle 90 deg.
Select either circle.
Select the Follow Me tool and then click the other circle.

Done. Hope that helps. :shock:

Edit:
To copy/rotate the circle, select the circle then rotate tool.
Orbit so the circle is somewhat flat (orbit by holding down the wheel mouse button).
Hover until you get either a red or green rotate tool. Hold down shift, this locks it to that plane (red or green).
Then click the center of the circle, it should lock there when you get close to the center.
After you have clicked the center of the circle you can let up shift.
Pull your cursor away from center and hold down the Ctl key, you will see a + show up next to your cursor. This will allow you to copy the selection set.
Then click once to copy, then again to place it... you sould be able to rotate it up 90 deg. and it will snap there.

Figured since you are new to SU you might not know some of the basics.

CADTutor
10th Nov 2005, 11:35 pm
Whew! Thanks, I got it now. I almost fell at the copy rotate hurdle until I discovered the Shift+Ctrl key combination. I can see I'm going to have to get to grips with the various key functions. When using the Rotate tool, Shift allows you to lock the protractor and Ctrl causes the rotated object to be copied.

The more I work with this app, the more I like it. :)

Ah ha! Just saw your edit - nice to know I can still wing it once in a while.

boofredlay
10th Nov 2005, 11:40 pm
Fun huah.

Try drawing a number of spheres of different sizes, move them around so they intersect each other randomly, then select everything.
Right click on the selection and use the Intersect With Model function.
Wherever they touch, it will draw a line.
Then start erasing things and see what kind of funky shapes you get. :geek:

boofredlay
11th Nov 2005, 02:58 pm
If you have the time, check out the video tutorials on the SU site:

http://www.sketchup.com/?sid=35

These will get you started really quickly.