Drafting Default Settings

Hi There,

Mysteries afoot here!

I'm assuming that this issue was brought upon by one of numerous crashes as of late...

But, right now, there seems to be a setting that has been set to create every entity with the color property of yellow, resulting in me drawing and then having to change the property to 'By Layer'. Obviously this is a cumbersome way of drafting.

I've hunted high and low in the tools, options and setting areas - no dice.

Any corrective suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks so much! My drafting life is back to normal!

p.s. is there a guide anywhere that lays out all these lesser known but ultimately important commands???

I dunno' but I feel for you.. I'd have flipped out if I didn't know what caused that.

Basically, you had your current settings set to draw in yellow and RKent told it to just draw in the color of whatever layer you're on.

If you change your current colors in the toolbars, you're likely to accidentally set this error up yourself. I'm not criticizing anyone's layout, but I've often felt it more useful to turn-off toolbars like that on a new person's set-up. It prevents stuff like that from happening.

I do all my changes in the properties window, and know that if I don't have an item selected, everything damn well better say "bylayer" or I've goofed again ;)

Seems more clear to use this technique, but that might be just because I'm used to it.

It's important to note that settings like the one RKent gave you is not "the right setting", but is a setting that corrects the issue you were having, because at some point you changed it (maybe accidentally, through a toolbar, or perhaps a LSP routine did it).

Anyways.. you can type in SETVAR and then press ? and the press again to get a list of all your current system variables settings.

It's a long list though.. It might help with "obvious" things like.. "Hey! I'm drawing in Yellow, and this variable SAYS yellow".. but most of it reads like shorthard codes and a series of numbers to represent settings. However, each one CAN be looked-up in your Help file to indicate what it means.

It's important to note that settings like the one RKent gave you is not "the right setting", but is a setting that corrects the issue you were having, because at some point you changed it (maybe accidentally, through a toolbar, or perhaps a LSP routine did it).

What are you talking about? It is the right setting and the only way to get the OP back to drawing color bylayer. They could set it through the properties toolbar (not the properties palette) and it does the same thing, sets cecolor to bylayer.