Creating a new switch symbol

ReMark

Has anyone done this? I thought I could borrow a pre-existing switch, explode it, and use parts of it. Everything seemed to go OK right up to the point where I insert the new switch and the line does NOT break! Argh...double argh.:x

I think it might have something to do with the circles I used as terminals. Any suggestions?

If I had an AutoCAD Electrical programmer sitting next to me right now I'd taser him/her just out of frustration. Zap...zap...zap.:twisted:

Problem solved.

I "borrowed" an existing symbol, exploded it, erased what I did not need and added a couple of new things then did a "save as". Now I just have to figure out how the naming conventions work for symbols. Making some progress.

I think I have something on that at work. If nothing shows here by Monday give me a nudge - got a hectic day today.

Thanks David. I'll give it the once over later today. I have a busy morning ahead of me. I did manage to create a terminal block too. It only took me six tries to get it right!

ReMark, here si the command for the Symbol Builder. Thats what you need to creat any smart symbol that autocad electrical would need.

WD_SYM_BUILD

you can create Parent, child, terminal blocks and Panel Layout symbols such as footprints.

Let me know if you need more help to create any symbol

By the way, I suggest to keep using blocks that ECAD provides so you wont need to re-create the wheel.

I would use the blocks provided if they were available believe me. It's not on my top ten most-fun-things-to-do list to sit there and try to figure out how to create custom blocks. It really slows me down.

I use the Symbol Builder on the Schematic tab.

Bealive me, I feel youre paint. when I started to use ECAD, I hated it, but once you start to used more more and learn it, you will loved. in the long run, it is a tool worthy to learnd it and master it. I know there is no good tutorials out there, all I know was try and fail learning process. the trainning I recived from the seller was not good. I just though to share that.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you can used your blocks that you already created. the only thing is that you need to make them smarter with the SYMBOL BUILDER.