Intro to AutoCAD 2010

Shooter75

Hi all,

I have just started a new job with a land development consulting company as a trainee planner. I am taking the iniative to learn AutoCAD from scratch (no prior experience). I am quite computer saavy and have access to the program at work and home, but it really is a whole new beast to me.

I just bought the "AutoCAD 2010 for Dummies" book as my first teaching aid and I am curious to know if you think it's a good tool or what other methods/resources are useful for beginners?

Cheers,

Shooter

Hi and welcome to the forums, and congrats on learing to tame the beast that is AutoCAD. It will bite you if you are not careful :wink:

- There are plenty of books recommended here in the forums, use the Search to find some.

- there are tutorials on this site (and others) that you can use.

- Ask Questions!! No questions are too dumb, we all have started somewhere.

Other than that, good luck, have fun - and when in doubt, ask the Forum :)

That book will definitely give you a crash course, but then again this book is extremely general. If you have a very specific question, then this board is the best place to come. Rule of thumb - if you don't use it, you lose it. In other words, the more you use the program the better you'll be. Have fun with your new-found journey and welcome to the forum. 8)

Welcome to the CADTutor forum.

The "Dummies" line of books will give you the basics as previously mentioned. For more in-depth information books by Grabowski, Omura and Finkelstein are better. Some come bundled with a CD of drawing examples keyed to chapters in the books.

You should have the opportunity to order a User's Guide from AutoDesk. It is free and will be shipped directly to you.

Make use of AutoCAD Help (since it is right at your fingertips literally), this forum and other AutoCAD-related websites. You might also consider attending an AutoCAD class either at a local community college or online. Intermediate and advanced classes are also available.

I agree, 'Dummies' is a good place to start. Buy a book by Grabawski. Omura or Finklestein next (They are all good, but once you've bought one - the others cover the same subjects). Take it easy, one page at a time.

This is a good site for beginners:

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/

The AUGI training program is pretty good, and you get the benifit of an online-tutor and peer support:

http://www.augi.com/education/default.asp?page=728

AUGI Cad camps are great if there is in one in your area:

http://augicadcamp.com/

Althouge it's easy to pick up the basics by yourself, it's really hard to progress further. I suggest that you look at the courses avaiable through your local college and If you can pursuade your boss to contribute, you can get great training through your local Autodesk reseller.

At some point you will need to learn paperspace layouts. I have found that most have trouble learning how to use layouts properly on their own, and in fact most instructors don't know how to properly teach how to use layouts.

When you feel like you have a pretty good handle on things search out a class that specifically covers paperspace layouts. You might also check out some of the free on-line classes here http://au.autodesk.com But I caution you to not try to take in too much at once. This is a professional endeavor and requires years of professional effort to learn the program.

Another good refernce book is Ellen Finkelstein's Autocad Bible.

This forum and the folks on it are awesome they are very knowledgable and willing to help.

I agree with StykFacE, if you don't use it, loose it. There are so many things that AutoCAD can do and you don't need to know all of them to succeed at your job.

If I had to make suggestions on what to learn I'd say:

1. Learn to draw a line using:

1. your mouse
    2. coordinates
    3. osnaps
    4. [*]Learn to draw circles and arcs

[*]Learn the UCS and how to manipulate it

[*]Lear the following commands:

1. TRIM
      2. EXTEND

[*]Learn to move around the screen and zooming in/out

Being that your with a land development firm you will probably be required to work within their discipline which means many of the layout sheet formats will be preset as will dimension formats, text styles, etc... but you will eventually want to master these as well. Once you get the 2D world mastered you can then venture into the world of 3D.

Oh yes, I'd also recommend learning all about coordinate points, PDSIZE, PDMODE, etc... and make yourself familar with how they take data from a survey crew and import these points into a drawing. Land plats are often done by taking the raw data from surveys and importing a file into AutoCAD. This is tricky at times.

If somebody wants to learn from a scretch then older version will b the best option. " Y go backwords" saying this doesn'y make any sense. Newer version have only the modifications in a particular command, but doesn't have new things to draw. The basic commands in 2002 are same as in 2010. So first try to learn stand on your feet instead of running!

The basic commands in 2002 are same as in 2010.

Then I will reiterate what ReMark asked. Why go backwards? :?

And why buy an old version of the program if you have already purchased the latest and greatest?

Here i m giving a easy way for starter, not for experienced. So go for known commands, not for attractive interface that confuse a starter. I m giving you an example of 2010. It has ribbon which is biggest confusion for a starter, i know that ribbon option can be eliminated and drop down menu can be used, but who know this? we know this, coz we are using this since years, but a starter doesn't know this. And i think that a starter should keep their minds on commands instead of doing this. So start with older version. Now you still have some objections, then they doesn't make any sense.:)

I agree with ReMark and Cad64. If you are going to be using 2010 'in production' why start with 2002? That's like saying if you want to learn to drive a car you should start of by learning in a ford prefect!

Our objections don't make any sense? :huh:

Why don't you answer my other question.

why buy an old version of the program if you have already purchased the latest and greatest?

The OP has already purchased a $4,000 program, but your solution is to tell him that he needs to buy another version of the program in order to learn. That is what doesn't make any sense.

Your biggest point of contention seems to be the programs interface, but there is a simple solution for this. Just turn off the ribbon. Once you do that, 2010 is basically the same as 2002, other than the obvious upgrades, added commands, and functionality. So I just don't understand, why go backwards? :?

The best way to start is 2002

LOL, forget it - don't take this advice. Beginners have no trouble with the Ribbon interface - it is those of us who have been using since the side screen menu that have trouble with change.

LOL, forget it - don't take this advice. Beginners have no trouble with the Ribbon interface - it is those of us who have been using since the side screen menu that have trouble with change.

:lol: old dogs...new tricks... guilty!:lol:

I suppose next you'll advise the OP to learn how to drive a 1967 Ford Fairlane, manual transmission, with the shifter on the column.

Or tell him to build his own house using a hammer, hand saw and a screwdriver instead of a nail gun, circular saw and a battery powered drill.

It makes no sense to suggest learning on a program that is 8 years old just to "get the basics". He'll get those basics and a lot more with 2010.

Your post gets my "funniest post of the day" nomination.:lol: