Background mask for blocks

Can a background mask be applied to a block so that when it is inserted it will cover everything behind it?

This would help when inserting window and doors along a wall in a floor plan without having to trim the walls to the window or door.

Thanks for any suggestions.:)

Could someone explain how to use a solid hatch as a background mask. In my other thread it someone mentioned that the hatch should be set to white but I don't understand how this works. I know I'm doing something stupid and it would be great if someone could explain it to me. Thanks.

What't to explain? Which bit are you struggling with?

Why don't you try it out? If you don't get the result you want, post us back and we will try and help!

1. Create a shape

2. Hatch it with a solid hatch, colour white

3. Draw some stuff over the top

4. Plot preview, see how it looks

5. If necessary, tweak your CTB/STB to get what you're after.

1. Create a wipeout

2. Draw some stuff over the top

3. Plot preview, see how it looks

4. If necessary, tweak your CTB/STB to get what you're after.

Make a block, and continue to test it...

Use Draw order to send the stuff you don't want to see, behind the hatch, and stuff you DO want to see, in-front of it.

Autocad Architectural does the "breaking the wall to insert a door" trick all by itself, I think.. I saw someone referring to it on here.

Maybe you could find, or create, a LISP that'll do that trick for you? That's definately a cat that's been skinnned somewhere.. :)

After I hatch out the window block with solid white it just makes the entire block white (in model space) and black (in paper space). When I plot it it the block comes out black. Like I said before I think I am missing something simple.

@MikeScott I'd actually prefer not to break the wall at all so the window or door can be more easily moved in future revisions.

Thanks for the help everyone!

...please note, white as in the RGB terms (R-255, G-255, B-255). Don't click white (black) color straightaway, as most lazy people do that, use the Luminosity slider to get the real-world white color.

I'm 100% sure you're doing the other way... 8)

Well I don't like to think of myself as lazy...usually :). Perhaps lack of sleep and pressure from all sides had to do with my stupendous oversight. I did try 255,255,255 but I may have only tried it on the index color tab and not the true color tab. Or maybe it was something else...not really sure. Can't believe I became so frustrated on something so simple.

Thanks for the tips fahim108 and MikeScott; they finally put me on the right track. I ended up finishing the plans I was working on using my old method of trimming the walls after the windows and doors are installed but I'm hoping this hatch method will keep me from having to do that.

My only concern is that while in model space the block is all white. Hopefully this won't be too distracting. I thought about using the wipeout method but I have heard it does not work well with pdfs. However, I will definitely give both methods a try.

Thanks everyone.

Wipeout seems to work fine in ACad 2010 with DWG To PDF.pc3. The pdf printed without the black blob effect that I have heard so much about. When using pdf Creator the black blob was present.

• 3 weeks later...