Help with a drawing

I posted on here a while back for help with a drawing and received good, swift responses. Here's another. The first attachment is the work I've got to do and the DWG file is what I've done so far. Could you give me any pointers as to how I continue? I'm struggling to visualise the third angle projection and the detail involved in it.

Thanks

Chris.

cad.jpg

Drawing3.dwg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dstealth

• ReMark

• Tankman

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wish the image were a little clearer.

Could you tell us what the finished drawing is supposed to depict as far as views? I'm guessing top, front, right side and an isometric of some kind.

One thing I would recommend is that you draw all objects in model space at FULL size. The title block and border I would insert into a layout. I would then create the required number of viewports needed to see all views you plan to include in the drawing. When it comes to text and dimensions you could either use annotative scaling (works for text, blocks, dimensions and hatches) or put your text and dimensions in your layout. Remember that a layout gives you access to paper space.

Wish the image were a little clearer.

Could you tell us what the finished drawing is supposed to depict as far as views? I'm guessing top, front, right side and an isometric of some kind.

One thing I would recommend is that you draw all objects in model space at FULL size. The title block and border I would insert into a layout. I would then create the required number of viewports needed to see all views you plan to include in the drawing. When it comes to text and dimensions you could either use annotative scaling (works for text, blocks, dimensions and hatches) or put your text and dimensions in your layout. Remember that a layout gives you access to paper space.

Yeah, I'm sorry about the scanned image of the document. I had to downsize it because it wouldn't let me upload it otherwise. I'll have another go at uploading it. I've placed it in a word document so you can zoom right into the drawing and have a proper look.

As far as the views go, it tells you in the instructions beneath the drawing. It is meant to be an assembly drawing - so you have got to imagine that the shaft and pulley and everything else are all in place, and then you follow the instructions - such as creating a sectional elevation about the vertical axis H-H (which I think I have managed to complete correctly). Have you had a look at my drawing?

Cheers

Chris

drawing.doc

Yes. I took a brief look at your drawing. Thus, my comments above. I also have a couple of questions.

The holes in the base. Are the dims locating their centers missing?

The instructions call for "suitable materials". Are you required to do this in 3D too, apply materials, set lights and render a final image?

The end elevation of the pulley. I think a couple of dimensions might be missing as well.

Is the base 10 or 15 thick? I cannot read the dimension off the doc file.

A third angle orthographic drawing is comprised of three views commonly referred to as the Plan view, Front elevation and Side elevation.

I'm used to depicting the right side of an object when a side view is called for. I believe in Europe it is the left side of the object that is shown. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Well I have to go now. But I shall return Saturday morning and check this thread. If you get here before me make a list of the questions you have. We will do our best to answer them. Just be patient. Goodnight.

Yes. I took a brief look at your drawing. Thus, my comments above. I also have a couple of questions.

The holes in the base. Are the dims locating their centers missing?

The instructions call for "suitable materials". Are you required to do this in 3D too, apply materials, set lights and render a final image?

The end elevation of the pulley. I think a couple of dimensions might be missing as well.

Is the base 10 or 15 thick? I cannot read the dimension off the doc file.

Yes, the dimensions for the centres of the four holes are missing. I don't know why. I didn't draw it.

I don't think what it says about the suitable materials is important. The drawing is not to be done in 3D, just 2D. I'm not sure about the pulley. All relevant dimensions to complete the drawing seem to be there.

The base is 15mm thick.

The part I am struggling with is creating the sectional view 'H-H'. The way I am guessing you create it is by first drawing a rectangle (120mmx100mm - which I've already drawn) and then drawing construction lines going from the end elevation through the rectangle and then trimming the parts you don't need, eventually creating the cross-sectional view.

Thanks.

Chris

It sounds like you are describing a longitudinal section. The view would have to include the base, the shaft and the pulley. I am however puzzled by the orientation of "H-H". Who drew the section lines, you?

If you are going to draw it as I describe (longitudinal) then it might be in your best interest to draw the parts separately off to one side then combine them one by one trimming away what you don't need in the process.

It sounds like you are describing a longitudinal section. The view would have to include the base, the shaft and the pulley. I am however puzzled by the orientation of "H-H". Who drew the section lines, you?

If you are going to draw it as I describe (longitudinal) then it might be in your best interest to draw the parts separately off to one side then combine them one by one trimming away what you don't need in the process.

When I was messing around with the image trying to compress it so I could upload it I, moved the sectional elevation arrow H'H by accident, so I'm not surprised it confused you. I've moved it back to where it should be in this attachment.

Chris

drawing.doc

Have you done any more work on the drawing itself?

Yes, I'm up to here now. I could do with importing an M18 hex nut. Any ideas or is it best to have a shot at drawing one?

Chris

Drawing3.dwg

I'd just draw it. You have the necessary dimensions?

I think you need to straighten out your layers a bit. Ex. - layer Centre and Centerlines. Redundant isn't it? Ex. - layer Red. Not very descriptive.

A portion of the shaft that fits in the bracket is 118 in length. The bracket is 120. The shaft would end inside the bracket 2mm short.

You still need to work on a plan view.

Your title block and border are on layer "0" and you have overridden the default color and made it green. Not recommended. Move this to its own layer. Do not place an entities permanently on layer "0".

I think the base thickness is 10 not 15.

I also think the direction of the arrows for "H-H" are pointing in the wrong direction.

The base is 15 because I have the drawing on paper right in front of me. The direction of the arrown are pointing in the right direction.

I think you need to straighten out your layers a bit. Ex. - layer Centre and Centerlines. Redundant isn't it? Ex. - layer Red. Not very descriptive.

Fair enough about sorting the layers out a bit. Not now though, I'll get this drawing finished first and then worry about that!

A portion of the shaft that fits in the bracket is 118 in length. The bracket is 120. The shaft would end inside the bracket 2mm short.

Which is exactly why I've made the shaft 118 and made it stop 2mm short!

You still need to work on a plan view.

No need for a plan view as I haven't been asked to do one. I know it's the convention in the real world, but...

Chris

The nut in the end view does not reflect what you are showing in the section.

The nut on the left end of the section does not match up with the nut on the right end.

You depict a number of hidden diameters in your end view but I don't see one for the collar depicted in the section.

Something about the keyway appears a bit odd. Should there be a dashed line if the section is cut down the midline of the shaft?

What's the significance of the red "X" at each nut?

I've corrected what you have mentioned in your above post and will post an updated drawing shortly. I'm busy adding the dimensions and creating a parts list at the minute. Have you got any idea how to make the Arial font as your default font style within MText? Vineta is my default at the moment and it's annoying!

Thanks for your above observations by the way.

Cheers

Chris.

A drawing update - I'm almost done!

Doin' great!

Take a peek-a-boo at the attached.

I like to work in model space without the title block.

Years ago, I had only worked in model space. Didn't have a clue.

Your thoughts? :unsure:

Drawing3a.dwg