Confused about AutoCAD software licences

sgrant

What are the various options of the number of autocad seats you are alllowed when you purchase AutoCAD? What is SLM? how does multi user work?:cute:

I friend has recently been given a free copy of AutoCAD 2007 from her Autodesk dealer that she recently installed on her computor. I would like a copy of her AutoCAD for my home computor but am confused that my friends autocad might not work when I install a copy of hers?

Thank you.

Her dealer just gave her a free copy of Autocad? :?

I'm sorry but I have to wonder what she may have offered in exchange for such a generous gift? :unsure: Unless this dealer is just passing out pirated copies of Autocad to all of his friends? :roll:

Whatever is going on between your friend and her dealer sounds like some pretty shady business and I would stay away from what they are doing. At some point Autodesk is probably going to find out what this dealer is up to and then they will find out who he has given out free copies to and everyone is going to be in a lot of hot water.

But even if this is a legitimate legal copy of the program, it would be illegal for you to install it on your machine. This isn't like borrowing a music cd from your friend so that you can load it on your ipod. This is a $4,000 piece of CAD software that carries very strict rules about it's distribution and use. Do yourself a favor and stay away from pirated software.

From the Autodesk Autocad 2007 Licensing Agreement:

2. SOFTWARE LICENSE

2.1 License Grant. Autodesk grants You a non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to use copies of the Software in the jurisdiction in which you acquire the Software, in accordance with the applicable User Documentation, within the scope of the License Parameters. Autodesk’s license grant is conditioned on Your continuous compliance with all license limitations and restrictions described in this Agreement. If You violate any of these limitations or restrictions, the license grant will automatically and immediately expire. The license descriptions in this Section 2 define the scope of rights that Autodesk grants to You. Any usage of the Software outside the scope of the applicable license grant constitutes an infringement of Autodesk’s intellectual property rights as well as a material breach of this Agreement.

2.2 License Parameters. Autodesk’s license grant is subject to one or more of the License Parameters defined in this Section 2.2 as specified in the User Documentation. Unless Autodesk expressly specifies or agrees otherwise in the User Documentation, all Software shall

2.2.1 Standalone (Individual) Version. If Autodesk identifies the Software as a “Standalone Version” or as an “Individual Version” or if the User Documentation does not identify the Software by any of the version designations set forth in Sections 2.2.2 through 2.2.6, You may Install and Access one (1) copy of the Software on one (1) individual Computer, which may not be connected to a network in a manner that allows more than one (1) user to Access, upload, operate, view or otherwise create or use a copy of the Software. You may not Install or Access the Software other than on one (1) computer at a time.

2.2.2 Network Version. If Autodesk identifies the Software as a “Network Version” in the applicable User Documentation, You may Install, Access and use one (1) copy of the Software on Your Computer file server, for Your own internal business needs, with the Autodesk License Manager tool. The Software may be Installed on or Accessed by other Computers, or on an individual Computer, as a multiple-user installation, so long as the maximum number of concurrent users does not to exceed the Permitted Number.

3.2 Prohibited Actions. Autodesk does not permit any of the following actions and You acknowledge that such actions shall be prohibited:

3.2.1 Use. You may not Install, Access or otherwise copy or use the Software or User Documentation except as expressly authorized by this Agreement.

3.2.3 Transfers. You may not distribute, rent, loan, lease, sell, sublicense, or otherwise transfer all or any portion of the Software or User Documentation, or any rights granted in this Agreement, to any other person without the prior written consent of Autodesk.

If you want to read the entire EULA, you can download a pdf version here: http://south-apac.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=1157326&id=9915117

Thank you.. My friend had AutoCAD 2006 brought from the dealer which was then upgraded to 2007. My friend could not find the activation code and contacted the dealer who said I can only give the activation code for 2007. The dealer then burnt a new copy with the new activation code. The company has recently spent over £45k with them for other products. I was quite shocked aswell

Your friend is either uninformed or she's not giving you the real truth. There is no such thing as an "Upgrade". You either buy the new version or you stick with your old version. There is no upgrade patch that will transform your 2006 version into a 2007 version.

And as for your friend not being able to find the activation code, all she needs is the serial number which is on a sticker on the back of the CD case. Once she inputs that serial number, an activation code is generated and the program is activated. The dealer cannot provide the activation code for her.

He also cannot burn a new copy of the software without violating the EULA, as stated in my previous post.

Your friend has a pirated copy of 2007 which she should dispose of immediately. If she gets caught with it, there will be severe fines and penalties. I worked for a company that got caught using pirated software. Autodesk came in and cleaned house.

Thank you. I will let her know immedietly to get rid of it.

"Once she inputs that serial number, an activation code is generated and the program is activated" This only works if the AutoCAD license is registered to the company?

Also, I have AutoCAD 2007 at work and have purchased AutoCAD 2010 on subscription last month which I have not installed due to 2007 not being compatible with my other software which requires upgrading to work with 2010.

Please can you let me know if there are any time restricitons on installing my 2010 as I have to wait until we have the budget to install the new product.

Also will my AutoCAD 2007 still be available to use when I install 2010

"Once she inputs that serial number, an activation code is generated and the program is activated" This only works if the AutoCAD license is registered to the company?

Yes, this only works if you or your company purchased the program legally from Autodesk or your local dealer. If you try to register a pirated copy you could get into a lot of trouble. That's why the dealer supplied your friend with the activation code because if she tried to register that copy using the serial number on the cd case, Autodesk would have been alerted.

Please can you let me know if there are any time restricitons on installing my 2010 as I have to wait until we have the budget to install the new product.

No, there is no time restriction. In fact, I just re-installed 2008 on my machine at work last week. But, do you have a 2010 installation disk or are you downloading it from the subscription center? If you are downloading it, I would recommend doing it now and just save the download to your server so you can install it later, just in case the download is not available when you get ready to install.

Also will my AutoCAD 2007 still be available to use when I install 2010

Yes, you will still be able to use 2007.

Also, if you already have 2007 at work, you are allowed to install it on a second computer as stated below:

3.1.2 Additional Installation. Except with regard to Educational Institutional, Student and Evaluation Versions only, You may Install and Access a second copy of the Software on the hard disk of a second Computer owned by You or under Your control provided that:

(i) the original and second copies are used only by the same person;

(ii) the second copy is Installed and Accessed only on either (a) with respect to Network Versions, a redundant server that makes the Software available for use only when Your primary server on which the active Software copy is Installed becomes inoperable, or (b) a notebook computer or other non-server computer away from Your usual work location for the purpose of enabling You to perform work while away from Your usual work location;

(iii) only one of the Software copies is Accessed at any one time; and

(iv) both copies of the Software are Installed and Accessed exclusively with the copy protection device (if any) supplied with the Software.

My friend definately had a registered legal copy that was removed from a desktop and put onto a laptop. I am wandering why the newly installed AutoCAD did not generate a new activation code. Does autodesk give you a new activation code every time you re-intall autocad onto a new computor?

A bit confused and would like to know how Autodesk will know if you are registering a pirated copy and get your details. Is this done through the internet?. How is this physically done if you register a pirated copy.

What happens if somebody in the same company tries to put my version on AutoCAd on their computor? Will they not be able to get the activation code as it is on my computor already.

Dont worry, I wont be doing this as my new 2010 is on subscription so I can use on my work laptop at home aswell. I do not touch anything illegal.

Thank you

Sarah

Does autodesk give you a new activation code every time you re-intall autocad onto a new computor?

No. If you install and activate your copy of Autocad and then uninstall it and reinstall it, or install it on a different computer, you can re-use the same activation code.

A bit confused and would like to know how Autodesk will know if you are registering a pirated copy and get your details. Is this done through the internet?. How is this physically done if you register a pirated copy.

I don't know if I'm really qualified to answer this question accurately, and since I've never tried to register a pirated copy of Autocad, I don't know exactly what will happen, but here's my assumption. Each copy of Autocad is given its own unique serial number. When you activate Autocad, you must enter that serial number in order to receive your activation code. So, if that serial number is already in use, a new activation code will not be issued. Now, Autodesk may not immediately come knocking on your door, but they will have your IP address which means they could track you down if they really wanted to. I think most people, or companies, get caught because someone turned them in, not because Autodesk detected they were using illegal software.

What happens if somebody in the same company tries to put my version on AutoCAd on their computor? Will they not be able to get the activation code as it is on my computor already.

If it's already installed on your computer, they may or may not be able to legally activate it, depending on how many computers that copy is allowed to be installed on with a MSSA license.