Hide command in AutoCAD 2008 in relation to blocks

Hello,

I work for a surveying company and am having trouble with the blocks I insert for our survey posts. One in particular is an octagon that is blank in the center. These blocks are attached at the intersections of lines in a drawing. When the drawing is plotted you should not be able to see the lines below the block. I have tried to use the hide command, my plot preview show perfectly, but when the print comes out of the plotter, the lines are shown! I'm really scratching my head on this one... is there a glitch? another command that I can use to achieve the same result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheeers,

Samantha

I'm not entirely sure... I've never created masks before for blocks. When I am in model space and i use the HIDE command, the lines disappear from the center of the blocks, I've even gotten as far as to have a print preview of the result I want, but it will still come out of the plotter with lines showing through the blocks...

hiddenpoststesting2.dwg

I have never used the hide command - I thought it was only for 3D stuff - but I have recently started using a WIPEOUT in my blocks to hide all thats behind. You may have to fiddle with the draw order to get it right and SOME print drivers see them as a black blob so thay are not foolproof but they do work well for me.

Use WIPEOUT. That should solve the problem.

Your hexagon blocks are a little odd. Why use two 3D faces? The polygon tool should give the same look, and would make using wipeout much easier.

Using your existing 3D faces: Open the block, then WIPEOUT. Select each vertex of the hexagon, in order, ENTER. Exit the block (saving changes), then right-click the block and select Draw Order > Bring to Front.

Hope that helps