Block copy problem

MisterJingles

Hi all

I have the following problem. I am doing the as built drawings for one of our soon to be completed projects, and am changing all the electrical sleeve cabling symbols.

So I copied all the sleeves (each is a separate block) onto a new drawing and changed them individually to the symbol I wanted.

BUT when I copied and pasted them back onto the original drawing only around half of them show as the new symbol. The rest stayed as the old symbol despite the copied symbol being correct.

Can you tell me why?

Rob

What are you doing? Are you saying every single one is a different block name? Are you redefining the graphical representation of the symbol? Are you just changing attribute values?

There are around 200 instances, only a dozen or so are repeated, so most are different blocks with different block names.

Yes I am changing the graphic representation of every single one, problem is only a few are reflecting the changes when pasted into the drawing.

Next question, why do it away from the source drawing. I use BEDIT if the block contains attributes and REFEDIT if it doesn't. I am sure 2010 has both of these.

Anyway, are you removing all the blocks from the drawing or just copying them out?

If you copy them out and then re-insert you will be asked if you want to redefine the blocks. However this will not redefine any blocks within blocks. So if you have a block called grandfather, which contains a block called father and you redefine grandfather it will still show father. However if you only redefined the block called father and that was inserted then grandfather would show those changes!

Alternatively, if you removed all the blocks from the drawing it is possible you left a block definition behind. Purge all your blocks before bringing the old one back in.

Dave - I did it away from the source drawing because the project was not completed yet and I was still having to plot changes etc. So I was able to start changing the blocks a while ago by doing so on a new drawing. I understand why you would say that though.

I am coping them out. I was not asked to redefine.

These blocks are simple...

Sleeves-2.jpg?t=1274257135

sorry, can't see your picture - our net-nanny is VERY strict about what we can see!

Have you tried purging your drawing before pulling the blocks back in?

Aha Dave, thats why they pay you the big bucks. A PURGE prior to inserting did the trick.

Can you tell me what it purged that was causing the problem?

Thanks a stack.

you must have had a block definition lurking in the drawing. It wasn't on show but the drawiing knew of its existence. When you reinserted the block you should have got a "block already exists, do you want to redefine?" message. I don't know why you didn't but never mind. Purging cleared it out of the drawing and allowed the new definition in.

Yeah I performed the action over again but got no such message.

Nonetheless, thanks for solving the problem.

Have a good one.