Extrusion difficulty

zulutom

Hello.

I managed to create the extrusion you mentioned ant the result was a holow square tube. You have to transform the inner and outer contours into two polylines using the PE command (Polyline Edit) and then Join. You have to be careful that the polylines are closed. If they are open you can close them with the same PE command. Then the extrusion should work without problems.

I hope this helps

Bye

Hello, I have tried working through the tutorials but still having a bit of trouble creating an extrusion from the end view I have drawn.

This can be seen using this link

http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file=Drawing1+CAD__2005-11-16_Drawing1.dwg

What should i be doing?

O wierd i cannot get your link to work

What Alex said should workas long as your not useing AUTOCAD LITE as lite will not do 3d.

it would'nt work on 2002, but does on 2006, i'm guessing its a 2004 format.

alex is 100% right by the way :)

you can only extrude 2d closed polylines

and then subtract one extrusion from the other to get the hollow "tube"

it would'nt work on 2002, but does on 2006, i'm guessing its a 2004 format.

alex is 100% right by the way :)

you can only extrude 2d closed polylines

and then subtract one extrusion from the other to get the hollow "tube"

Does Autocad 2006 Lite do 3d now?

is that what your saying Tommy

I have gone to draw, then extrude, then selected my polyline, then type in an extrusion length / height then just pressed return when asked for taper and it says unable to extrude objects. Is there any basic tutorials on the web I can follow? I haven't been able to find any going through how to do extrusions.

Thanks

I have gone to draw, then extrude, then selected my polyline, then type in an extrusion length / height then just pressed return when asked for taper and it says unable to extrude objects. Is there any basic tutorials on the web I can follow? I haven't been able to find any going through how to do extrusions.

Thanks

basic tutorial is here:

http://caddigest.com/subjects/autocad/tutorials/3d.htm

and of course here:

http://www.cadtutor.net/acad/acadr14/3d-basic/3d-basic.html

good luck to autocad

hi,

if i cud understand ur prob, as i dnloaded the drawing as well,

u cudn't extrude the obj. that is y coz there r a lot of objs which u cudn't see and are not getting either regioned or polylined. in simple words, if you make the same thing right from scratch using a polyline comand instead of normal line command, u wuld be able to extrude the object, and then subtracting the ineer section from the outer section will be easy.

also as i saw ur dwg, there were some small arcs as u might have tried to fillet your 2d i section. i tried to polyline it in 2006 but cudn't. also region cud be done only in the outer section not the inner one.

just try polylining, things will be simpler

vicky

hi,

u cudn't extrude the obj. that is y coz there r a lot of objs which u cudn't see and are not getting either regioned or polylined. in simple words, if you make the same thing right from scratch using a polyline comand instead of normal line command, u wuld be able to extrude the object, and then subtracting the ineer section from the outer section will be easy.

also as i saw ur dwg, there were some small arcs as u might have tried to fillet your 2d i section. i tried to polyline it in 2006 but cudn't. also region cud be done only in the outer section not the inner one.

vicky

i hope you understad this image:

problem.jpg

hi,

vicky

i hope you understad this image:

problem.jpg

mea culpa vikasm i want wrote for zulutom:)

• 3 years later...

Hi Fenyess,

greets to the neighbour.

1) The hopping point is a clean, closed POLYLINE to extrude from. Use the PLINE command or button and follow your shape to extrude with object snap. For the last step, use the CLOSE option.

2) The PLINE must't intersect itself!

3) To extrude, the polyline must also be in the XY-PLANE of the UCS! Press the UCS WORLD BUTTON before you draw your PLINE. And don't use the buttons with the little cubes any more, as this might change your UCS. To change the view, rather use the 3DORBIT button (green sphere with satellite).

If your PLINE is out of the WCS, enter UCS / 3POINTS and click 2 corners of of the POLYLINE and then any point above or below it. This will move the XY-PLANE through your PLINE.

4) EXTRUDE. If you taper (make the EXTRUDED BODY pyramidal), don't use too large an angle, as the planes of the body must't intersect.

Those are the main obstacles I know. Once you get it, the extrude command is a very powerful tool, for example to make floor plans 3D for interior visualisations.

Then the