PDA

View Full Version : Drawing file size way too big!!

jck19
16th Nov 2005, 05:45 pm
For some reason, my dwg file sizes are 2-5MB!
-I did a "saveas" from another drawing, but even after purging, removing xrefs, deleting and detaching raster images, deleting all the layouts, deleting all the lines, purging over and over, and auditing (no errors found) - the drawing file size is still over 2MB. I don't understand!?!
-I tried wblocking out the lines into a new drawing but even then the new drawing is the same size.
-If I start a new drawing from scratch, it is a normal size - 200K or so.

I've done a lot of work on these drawings and don't want to lose the information, but we're going in CDs and the drawings are getting bogged down. Can anyone please help? Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

craigp
16th Nov 2005, 05:54 pm
Have you used many different layer styles???

If not try cutting and pasting into a new drawing. This lowers the file sizes the only thing is it pastes everything onto layer 0. Not sure if you could then change the layers again and still have a low file size :ermm:

Your lucky I had a 3D render the other day @ 64.5MB :shock:

jonesy
16th Nov 2005, 06:02 pm
Have you got any layer filters in your drawing, these tend to bloat a drawings size.

jck19
16th Nov 2005, 06:03 pm
Even if I draw a single line, put it on layer 0 and wblock it into a new drawing it is still 3MB. With just 1 layer! I have tried copy pasting, and cutting and pasting- both of which retain the line on the right layer, but doesn't reduce the drawing size any.

Under drawing properties, the edited time is something like 600 hours if that gives anyone any clue.

Please help

jck19
16th Nov 2005, 06:05 pm
how do i get rid of the layer filters? They aren't purging out.

jonesy
16th Nov 2005, 06:09 pm
Theres a lisp file floating around the web somewhere that deletes them all in one go, which goes by the name of LFD.lsp (I think mine came from www.theswamp.org).

If you have only a few, you can delete them one at a time via the layer dialog box.

Was that the problem?

Tracey

jck19
16th Nov 2005, 06:13 pm
i think that might be the problem
darn, it takes a while to delete them out, but there are probably 50 filters in there. It's making a dent, but I have a long way to go.Thanks so much. This might be it.
I'll let you know....

jck19
16th Nov 2005, 07:39 pm
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!
That did the trick. Now I'm the office hero. The lisp was definitely the way to go.
Thanks again.

jonesy
16th Nov 2005, 07:55 pm
Glad to help :D

You'll need to check many of your drawings, as these things spread like a rash when copying and pasting and/or using blocks that have the layer filters in.

I checked a drawing in my office today, it had 5087 filters, some in foreign languages, so where they'd come from I dont know.

Kind regards
Tracey

Dommy2Hotty
16th Nov 2005, 09:14 pm
;Delete layer filters in dwg
(defun C:LayerFiltersDelete ()
(vl-Load-Com)
(vl-Catch-All-Apply
'(lambda ()
(vla-Remove (vla-GetExtensionDictionary
(vla-Get-Layers
(vla-Get-ActiveDocument
(vlax-Get-Acad-Object))))
"ACAD_LAYERFILTERS")))
(princ "\nAll layer filters have been deleted.")
(princ)
)

jonesy
16th Nov 2005, 09:41 pm
I use a different one to that. I'll look when I get into work,

I think its called LFD.lsp, and it tells you how many of the pesky things it has deleted.

fuccaro
17th Nov 2005, 05:23 am
I would try to WBLOCK the file. Sometimes the simple solutions works just fine.

jonesy
17th Nov 2005, 09:19 am
I would try to WBLOCK the file. Sometimes the simple solutions works just fine.
I would normally say that, but he'd said in the original post that he'd tried that already, so its time to delve a little deeper.

Having said that, this little lisp file is run on all our drawings as a matter of course since we found problems with some drawings. We still havent found the source, but more and more drawings are now becoming a smaller size. I started with the template files, then went through all the company blocks, and then finally into the drawings. Slowly,but surely our drawings are becoming cleaner. :-)

Alnkris
1st Dec 2005, 03:26 pm
Have you tried using the 'overkill' typed into the command line? This removes any duplicate line,arcs & objects that may be in your drawing after binding any xref's, or whatever reason there may be duplicates over each other that can not necessarly be seen on the drawing. Use of this command reduced one of my drawing by about 1 to 2Meg. A significant reduction. :wink:

Lazer
1st Dec 2005, 09:33 pm
Have you tried using the 'overkill' typed into the command line? This removes any duplicate line,arcs & objects that may be in your drawing after binding any xref's, or whatever reason there may be duplicates over each other that can not necessarly be seen on the drawing. Use of this command reduced one of my drawing by about 1 to 2Meg. A significant reduction. :wink:

overkill :shock: it worked, i never heard of that one. thats what I love about this forum I read I try and I learn.. love it! :lol:
Hope it dont delete stuff i want to keep, ill do a few tests first i think, cheers