AutoCAD Software in Civil Works

Shawn

Good day,

I am currently looking for a Autocad Software in doing road alignment design, plotting cross section, volume calculation & mass haul balancing. Can anyone guide where to start?

Had heard about Land Developement Desktop and Autocad Civil, but hesitate which one is more suitable. Or is Autocad 2004 alone be able to do all these stuffs?

Appreciate any ideas.

Shawn

I think you would do best using AutoCAD Civil. Do not try to use plain AutoCAD. You'll just end up frustrated.

Thanks.

I just have Autodesk Civil 3D (trail version ) installed after few days downloading. Any ideas what is the best way to get a quick start or any tutorial available? Mainly on road alignment & cross section.

Thanks again.

Did you look in the Help file? Click on the Search tab and then type in "tutorial". Some AutoDesk software comes with basic tutorials included along with sample drawing files. Your next best bet is to try the AutoDesk website. Perhaps there might be something there. Finally, if you join AUGI (AutoCAD Users Group International) they have a series of online courses one can utilize. I don't know if they have any for Civil 3D. You'd have to check it out yourself.

By the way, are you a student?

Thanks again ReMark.

I am trying the tutorial and hopefully can get a quick start there.

by the way, i have few years experiece in highway construction & plan to equip myself with relevant design knowledge before to joining cosultancy firm.

Do you have any ideas where to get a worked example on real project?

Shawn

An example of a "real" project? Sorry, highway design is no longer my line of work. Maybe one of the other forum members might be able to help you out although you must remember that there could be some reluctance to share this type of information. We'll just have to see.