How to add layout from another drawing

david1954

Please let me know how a Layout can be added from another drawing, so that I get the page setup, the viewports and all the object created in the layout. ie front view, side view of the 3d model.

Thanks,

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david1954

• DNK

• Dana W

• MSasu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Design Center.

Surf to the drawing you want to import the layout from.

Double click the drawing you want to import the layout from.

Double click Layouts.

Right click and select add layout.

Alternatively:

• Right click on last layout in target drawing,
  • Chose "From template..." from contextual menu,
  • Select source type: DWT or DWG,
  • Indicate drawing to import layout from,
  • Chouse layout(s) to import from list,
  • Done.

Regards,

Alternatively:
  • Right click on last layout in target drawing,
  • Chose "From template..." from contextual menu,
  • Select source type: DWT or DWG,
  • Indicate drawing to import layout from,
  • Chouse layout(s) to import from list,
  • Done.

Regards,

This way I am able to copy the layout but not the views.

I want to copy the views in the layout also. I am not sure if it could be done or not.

Regards,

It should copy the vieports, too - please check the status of your layers.

Regards,

I confirmed Layers of Front view and side view are ON. Is there anything else, I am missing?

Regards,

Viewport on.

Yes. Viewport ON.

DNK, I got the viewport also copied. but I want to copy the images of 3d model, ie Front view and side view in the viewports.

See my concerns is when I got the views of my model in the viewports (paper space), same images shows up in the model(model space). I just want to get rid of those images from the model to keep it clean.

Any suggestions? I try to cut the images from model and put them on new drawing but then , views disappear from viewports also (Paperspace).

I am not sure if it could be done.

Yes. Viewport ON.

DNK, I got the viewport also copied. but I want to copy the images of 3d model, ie Front view and side view in the viewports.

See my concerns is when I got the views of my model in the viewports (paper space), same images shows up in the model(model space). I just want to get rid of those images from the model to keep it clean.

Any suggestions? I try to cut the images from model and put them on new drawing but then , views disappear from viewports also (Paperspace).

I am not sure if it could be done.

Instead of cutting from one drawing to another in model, use copy with basepoint, then input 0,0. Then paste into the new drawing using 0,0.

Instead of cutting from one drawing to another in model, use copy with basepoint, then input 0,0. Then paste into the new drawing using 0,0.

Please explain me a bit more. I have a model and 4 views of that model i.e. Front, Top, Side and Iso in Layout with 4 viewports. I got them by solview and soldraw command. and dimension them in paperspace. Looks perfect.

How to use copy with basepoint to copy this layout with views , dimension , text and viewports to another dwg.

I think I am missing something here. Please note all I need is to clean the clutter of Images (views) from the model.

Usually when I need to copy and paste views from one dwg to another , I just use Edit - copy and go to new dwg and pick up Edit- paste.

Please give me the steps.

Thanks for your help.

Please explain me a bit more. I have a model and 4 views of that model i.e. Front, Top, Side and Iso in Layout with 4 viewports. I got them by solview and soldraw command. and dimension them in paperspace. Looks perfect.

How to use copy with basepoint to copy this layout with views , dimension , text and viewports to another dwg.

I think I am missing something here. Please note all I need is to clean the clutter of Images (views) from the model.

Usually when I need to copy and paste views from one dwg to another , I just use Edit - copy and go to new dwg and pick up Edit- paste.

Thanks for your help.

What do you mean by this?

In model space, select everything you want to copy over.

Right click and select 'copy with basepoint'

Type "0,0"

go to new drawing, and in model space, right click and select paste

Type "0,0"

This enables you to copy from one drawing to another, and put it in the same location.

What do you mean by this?

In model space, select everything you want to copy over.

Right click and select 'copy with basepoint'

Type "0,0"

go to new drawing, and in model space, right click and select paste

Type "0,0"

This enables you to copy from one drawing to another, and put it in the same location.

The views, I got on the layout viewports , Images of these views are in the model . Is there anyway we can get rid of those images.

The way you explained, I can copy these veiws(images) to other drawing. Thanks.

The views, I got on the layout viewports , Images of these views are in the model . Is there anyway we can get rid of those images.

Can you provide a screenshot. I think there's a misunderstanding in terminology.

Thanks for your help.

I think what you are missing is this. The paper space layout viewports show you what exists in model space, with the exception of the objects drawn or inserted directly in the paper space layout. Think of model space as a room with a window in each of many walls. Each window has an adjustable lense that will allow you to stand outside the room, in Paper space. From paper space, you can view a different side or part of your "model" through any of the windows.

If you "clean the clutter of images" out of model space without moving them somewhere, they will be gone.

Now, you can copy the images from model space and paste them into paperspace, using the same method DNK described to copy from one drawing to another. Unless the scale is the same, you will have to scale the image to fit your paperspace layout. Then you can go back to model space and delete everything.

I think your plan is counter-productive and runs against the basic purpose of what AutoCAD is designed to do. I suggest you not do it.

Since model space is virtually unlimited, why is there a need to clean it out?

Can you provide a screenshot. I think there's a misunderstanding in terminology.

Drawing attached.

May be you can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Dana,

you are right. Model space is unlimited but these Images are right on the model and when I move them in the Model space , they move in the Layout as well.

I know I am doing something wrong buy I don't know what it is?

Thanks

Dana,

you are right. Model space is unlimited but these Images are right on the model and when I move them in the Model space , they move in the Layout as well.

Thanks

See above. Once again, you have to understand that paperspace has windows or viewports that let you see what is in model space. If you move the model, it will move in relation to the window in paperspace.

There is nothing wrong with the drawing. That is why you just continue drawing new related or revised objects in this model space, and add new layouts with new viewports (windows) to see them. OR, start a whole new drawing, if that is what you need. If you are adding pages for a new related or revised model, there is nothing wrong with doing it in a new drawing, if that is what you want, but it can prove to be clumsy to find them all later. If you are drawing a new completely unrelated model, then it should be on a completely new drawing.

Dana,

Thanks

I think it's your understanding, rather, misunderstanding of the relationship between paper space and model space.

Paper space provides the ability to create windows (viewports) to see the drawn elements in model space. It allows for multiple views of the same object in model space. It's not images of the object, it is the object.

I think it's your understanding, rather, misunderstanding of the relationship between paper space and model space.

Paper space provides the ability to create windows (viewports) to see the drawn elements in model space. It allows for multiple views of the same object in model space. It's not images of the object, it is the object.

Well, In the attached drawing, Model space Object is 3D-Solid, wheres in paper space objects (front , side and top view) are lines and circles. and same lines and circles are showed up on Model space, whick looks clutter.

It does not happen in ProE or even in solid works.