Shop Drawing a 3D Spline (2D Dimensions Required)

Hi all,

I'm trying to design/dimension a lighting rail that follows the edge of a theatre balcony, which curves in two axes (or is it three axes? I don't know, it's a lot) due to curved tiered seating. I have no idea how to do this. At the moment I'm 3D rotating 2D arcs by eye and kind of hoping they line up in real life like they appear to in Cad. I'm not particularly confident.

Anyone know of a way that I could make this easier for myself? I'm praying for something like pellipse, but for 3D polylines? That's reasonable right?!

This smiley face expresses my combined sense of urgency and hysteria right now: :shock:

Good luck with that ;-)

The only thing I can suggest off the top of my head is to try and set up a 'grid' of construction lines to snap to. You will need at least two crossing construction lines for each end point and the mid point of each arc.

This may work not sure tho. If the balcony is in 3D make a copy of it and then you can explode it and take the edges you want to follow and offset the distance the lighting rail will be, you can then extrude the rail along those lines.

JD I didn't think xedges came out until 2009 so explode would have done for this. But I just looked it up and it came out in 2007 (learn something new every day)