LineType appears different in modelspace than it does in layout

Hello: I have a user that's having this issue w/ the linetype appearing different in modelspace than it does on their layout tab.

If you look at the first pic, you will see how it appears for them in modelspace. The second pic shows how it appears for them in the layout tab. The line type on the layout tab extends out farther.

When i open the drawing on my machine, i don't experience this problem. The line type appears the same in both model space and the layout tab.

We are both using autocad mechanical 09.

Any ideas?

thank you for your help,

Proctor

LineTypeA.jpg

LineTypeA1.jpg

rkmcswain: thanks for your reply.

I tried those commands on both my machine and the users and they are both the same - i was hoping they would be different:

MSLTSCALE 0

LTSCALE 1

PSLTSCALE 1

Thanks,

Proctor

JoeC: Thanks for your reply. Can you explain more about Viewres?

When I went to the user's machine to have her open the drawing, the problem had somehow cleared up....by closing and reopening it. I know that the user did truly experience the problem, because they sent me a print screen of it.

I asked them to try to plot the drawing next time the issue occurs and see if it prints like how it is in the layout tab.

The user says that this is the second time in the past few days that this has happened.

Thanks,

Proctor

Setting the viewres at a higher number (10,000 instead of 100 for example) makes lines and arcs appear smoother and stay inside of boundaries. The only "drawback" is that it may take longer to regenerate with the higher viewres.

JoeC: Thanks for the explanation. Both our machines are set to 100 so I don't think that's it...but it's good to know about so thanks.

Proctor

JoeC: Thanks for the explanation. Both our machines are set to 100 so I don't think that's it...but it's good to know about so thanks.

Proctor

A) Viewres is a per-viewport, per-drawing setting, so it's not a 'machine' setting.

B) The viewres setting might make circular objects appear linear, but a regen would clear that up with basically any viewres setting over 50. Basically, viewres has little if any value and/or effect on today's hardware. I doubt you could measure much of a regen time difference on a drawing set to 100 compared to a drawing set to 20000.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I seem to have the same problem.

In modelspace the dashed lines are visible and in layout they are continuous lines! When I plot from the layout, they plot continuous, when I plot from the modelspace, they are dashed...

It's driving me crazy :wacko:

I already tried to reboot my system, restart Autocad, nothing seems to help :-(

Nuttieke - you just need to decide where you plan to plot from (model or layout), and manipulate the LTSCALE to get the desired appearance.

Argh...

I thought they should be the same.

Thanks for your answer!!

By the way, do you know how to put a white rectangle behind your text so the lines behind it are not visible?

By the way, do you know how to put a white rectangle behind your text so the lines behind it are not visible?

Try listing this question in a new posting...and be a bit more specific with what you are trying to do...not sure I understand.

• 3 weeks later...

Try setting the PSLTSCALE=0, in the layout double click on the viewport and type in PSLTSCALE than 0. After that type in REGEN right away to see the change. it will not change if you don't do REGEN.

To keep the drawing on model space the same as in paper space before you start your drawing make sure the msltscale=0. Than make sure the psltscale=0

Edited by dv6760

I have been having the same issue as Nuttieke and having adjusted the LTScale to 1 get the `hidden` linetype shown properly in Layout, but now when I revert back to Model space ( which is where we draw ) the hidden line type is now continuous. The only way I can get the Hidden linetype to show properly in Model space is to increase LTScale but then it gets too big in Layout space. Surely there must be a way to get it to show correct in both? Not had this problem before as we always draw in Model and then produce a Layout at a scale so we can put A1, A2, etc borders around them.

I have been having the same issue as Nuttieke and having adjusted the LTScale to 1 get the `hidden` linetype shown properly in Layout, but now when I revert back to Model space ( which is where we draw ) the hidden line type is now continuous. The only way I can get the Hidden linetype to show properly in Model space is to increase LTScale but then it gets too big in Layout space. Surely there must be a way to get it to show correct in both? Not had this problem before as we always draw in Model and then produce a Layout at a scale so we can put A1, A2, etc borders around them.

If you only have one viewport, the set PSLTSCALE = 0, and LTSCALE to whatever makes it work in model space.

If you have multiple viewports at different scales, then you may decide to set PSLTSCALE to 1 and LTSCALE to ±1.0

Also, read up on MSLTSCALE - this has an effect that you may or may not want to use.