Door sizes

Coosbaylumber

I think we have a sufficient number of folks here with an architectural background to answer this.

Got asked recently to help draw up some plans for a simple building in Colorado that is better than 100 years old now, not shown on a edition of Sanborn's, but from two photographs I need to figure out the original size etc.

A front and rear door is prominent on each near 90 degree view.

What shown I figure is the overall size to the visible part of the door then? I can scale up or down my drawing to macth it then.

Due to trees, the roof is totally in shaddows and canot be seen well. I presume they used common old asphalt paper for roofing back then too.

Wm.

Most residential doors are 2'-8", 2'-10" or 3'-0" wide, 6'-8" tall.

Can this building be seen with Google Earth? You can usually get rough overall dimensions, although not accurate, better than guessing.

At 100 years old, you're not likely to match current building standards. Visible brickwork is likely your best bet.. if you can post the pictures, we can take a look and see what else there might be to cross-reference the scale.

At 100 years old, you're not likely to match current building standards. Visible brickwork is likely your best bet.. if you can post the pictures, we can take a look and see what else there might be to cross-reference the scale.

This barn 1894, only standard now are the Anderson windows.

Visible brickwork would be best however, even brick sizes vary.

But, a good general way to guesstimate size.

For future use, I attached a dynamic door for your use.

BarnExterior.jpg

dynamic_door_swing.dwg

Most residential doors are 2'-8", 2'-10" or 3'-0" wide, 6'-8" tall.

Can this building be seen with Google Earth? You can usually get rough overall dimensions, although not accurate, better than guessing.

Although only one height is noted, I wonder do teh door sizes apply to that of more than 100 years ago.

This is a totally wood structure, except for doors, a billboard and a dirt floor. They used no brick, but was mainly of Aspen wood, and clapboard siding. Used to be a sort of two story sandhouse exactly next to an abandoned Railroad track on the western slope. Now in a prominent location near street, and only thing to be found is some scatches in the ground. Nothing near to where old foundation was at.

Wm.

I doubt door sizes apply to those 100+ years old.

One point of interest, I purchased a couple doors from the orient.

I made the purchase 'cause of the very interesting carvings on the doors.

The master's door was very tall.

The help's door was short. Forced the help to bow when entering their master's house.

Our house is 102 years old. Our front and back entrances are 32x80. Bathroom door is 24x80, linen closet is 22x80 and we have at least two 30x80 doorways.

Our house is 102 years old. Our front and back entrances are 32x80. Bathroom door is 24x80, linen closet is 22x80 and we have at least two 30x80 doorways.

The 80 is what I was going to use for exterior size.

But makes the spacing to board and batten exterior of unusual spacing.

Cannot estimate width, as angularity of photographs leaves some doubts as to actual width of doorways. Can see the top of each door sharply though.

Got one local who came forth with an original casing from base of hose from sand tower. It looks sort of small to me and who take near all afternoon to sand up then. But, according to him, Is Original I am told. And thus going to be incorporated in to new construction. Wonder how that little item was saved from original construction time in late 1880's then?

Wm.

The front of the barn had two doors, the large barn doors and one people door.

The people door is now my bedroom door, 38" wide x 90" high.

I would contact the people you received the photos from and ask them if they can give you dimensions. There's no way to really know the dimensions since there were no standards back then. Not to mention, if any of the jambs have shifted, pictures would be incredibly inaccurate and would save you a lot of time if someone could just measure the doors for you.

I think the idea that there were "no standards" is a bit far-fetched. Maybe out in the hinterlands it might have been true but not necessarily in the city.

Example: As far back as 1625 the Dutch West India Company established rules for the types and locations of houses that could be built by the colonists of New Amsterdam (a.k.a. - New York City). See.....

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/about/history.shtml