Tagging A Grid

I am having a lovely fight, with AutoCAD but I will probably find out its really with myself.

I am trying to add tag, metric to a column grid layout.

I go a get a fine metric tag from the sample design library and start to place them into the drawing, I have decided the likely scales I will be facing at 1:100, 1:50, 1:20, and 1:10, so I have given the tag those scales, the problem is when I change to those different scale in model space the tail of the tag changes position.

I am confused, surely the only thing I want to change is the circle with the defined text within. When the tail of the tag moves, it doesnt meet the grid line and that just isnt autocad for me...

I am sure I am being stupid here, just having one of those days...

Any suggestions would be great, the more patronising the guidance the better!

And just how did you go about confirming that the "tail of the tag changes position"? Did you do a sample plot?

I checked your drawing. The only thing I could see wrong was that the tail for the E12 balloon overlapped the line it was referencing. All the others looked fine.

When I plot, like for example with the pdf I have just attached E11 it not connected to the grid line.

All the dynamic tags arent connected, I am not sure what you mean by E12, to me they all seem to be incorrect, the view in paper space is the same and the plotted pdf.

Perhaps this is what column grid are supposed to look like in some can standards, but I need to have the tail seemlessly attached to the column grid.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a newbie like myself.

Perhaps I should just make myself a new tag which somehow scales from the tip of the tail as opposed to the centre of the tags annotation.

But that is opening a whole new can of worms, as I find creating dynamic blocks far from intuitive, need a very quite place and a lucky day with my brain.

GRID.pdf

The way to have it be seamless would be to eliminate the tail and just have the bubble with the number in it.

I repeat, the tail of the bubble, identitfied as E12 on your drawing, does NOT connect to the line representing the centerline of your column. It OVERLAPS the centerline. To make this more clear to you I have changed the orientation of the crosshairs in your drawing and moved all bubbles off their respective lines. A reference line, in red, links all end points of column centerlines EXCEPT one (that is the E12 centerline). The portion in question has a revcloud surrounding it. See attached drawing.

There are plenty of bubble lisp routines available scattered across the Internet. You can probably find a dozen just at the Cadalyst magazine website (check their Cad Tips section).

Personally, I still fail to see what all the fuss is about. I took a look at and printed your latest PDF and found no problem.

GIRD_ISSUE[redux].dwg

Ah I understand what you are refering to.

Its just seems rather odd that a grid tags tail would move, perhaps this is the convention elsewhere, oh well.

If I just remove the tail I have another problem, the bubble(circle) need to touch the grid line when at 1:10, but when plotting at 1:100 the bubble will have the grid line going through it.

Reflecting on the thread I was wondering if I didnt convey something. I am happy when I place onn of these table in MODEL SPACE at 1:100 but when in MODEL space I change the drawing to 1:10 things don't line up.

The problem is for dynamic annotation, it seems strange that the tail, the thing thats directing the annotation changes at differenct scales..

You must be doing something wrong if the position of the tail moves when you view the objects through viewports that have different scales.

I think the best route forward is for me to sit down and get my head around dynamic blocks, an dynamic annotation scales and see if I can create what I want.

Just a matter of finding the time.

Your problem may have something to with the insertion point of the dynamic block being the center of the bubble and not the end of the tail.

well I must thank you for you patients and help, if I manage to create a block that does the job I will post it here for others.

You're welcomed but why reinvent the wheel?

I'd first check over at the AUGI website. Join (for free) and then find their library of dynamic blocks. Maybe someone has already done the bulk of the work.