Fields & Viewports

woodman78

I have a question relating to fields and viewports. I am creating maps to be registered with the land registry council. I need to show the coordinates of the extents of the viewport in model space on the sheet layout. I have been unable to find anything in fields. Does anyone know anyway I may be able to do it?

Here's a workaround... kinda cumbersome

In Paperspace create points at the corners of the viewport.

Use the Chspace command to move the points to Modelspace.

In Modelspace create Fields for the points using the Position property.

Again use the Chspace command to move the fields to Paperspace.

Yes but I'm looking to get the coords at the extents of the viewport in model space not in paper space!!!

Yes but I'm looking to get the coords at the extents of the viewport in model space not in paper space!!!

Hence the use of the Chspace command

but how does that help me?

It'll give you the model space coordinates of the corners of the viewport.

Have you tried the procedure given in post #3?

In Paperspace create points at the corners of the viewport.

Use the Chspace command to move the points to Modelspace.

I've done this in the past, and then just do a LIST on the points to get the information I needed. Good idea using Fields and moving them back into paperspace, I never thought of that. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have done it the way setout in #3 but was hoping to make it a bit more automated.

Thanks anyway.

Perhaps use a formula field that uses the center/width/height properties of the viewport to determine the extents.

I was thinking the same thing, but how would you convert the coordinates from Paper to Model?

I always have an LWPolyline drawn in Model that is an exact replicate of my viewport. You could always use fields and extract XYZ information from something like that (or just have it place POINTS as Larry said). Granted, it would be garbage if the user moved the LWPolyline/POINT(s)/Viewport view.

To do it that way it would probably be best to setup attributes in Paper Space. Then when someone has the vp setup as they wish they would launch the Lisp which would draw a polyline around the viewport on a specific layer, change it to model space, get the coords and enter them into the block attributes in paper space.

Then if the move the Vp or view they would run the Lisp again so the first thing on the lisp would be to query if a certain layer exists, the one with the polyline, and if it does to delete and create a new one.

Would that work???