PDA

View Full Version : program keeps freezing up!

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 09:09 pm
Hello Again, I've been having trouble: each time I try to use the trim tool/command, my program freezes up and I get the Not Responding message. Even if I reboot the computer, it doesn't help. Any thoughts?

ScribbleJ
11th Jun 2010, 10:03 pm
Try doing the same thing in a completely new file and see if you get the same results. If so then its hard to say. If not then your file might be corrupt. Audit and purge to see if it finds errors and fixes them.

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 10:12 pm
I opened up alnother file, and used the tim tool. It works, but it's slow. What does that tell me? And, I don't know how to Audit and Purge.

Thanks.

ScribbleJ
11th Jun 2010, 10:18 pm
It may not be the file at all. Maybe your system has something going on that is keeping the processor busy which would slow down AutoCad.

Type AUDIT at the command line and PURGE. When audit prompts to Fix any errors detected? Choose yes.

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 10:24 pm
Calvin, you are a genius!!!!! It found one error, fixed it, and all is well with the world again. It's my birthday Sunday and this is my first birthday present. Thanks.

fart_plume
11th Jun 2010, 10:24 pm
How many programs do you have running at the same time? (ie Yahoo messenger, Browsers, weather bug, ect)

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 10:26 pm
oh fart_plume, only AutoCAAD 2007, but Calvin "fixed" it. Thanks so much.

ScribbleJ
11th Jun 2010, 10:28 pm
Calvin, you are a genius!!!!! It found one error, fixed it, and all is well with the world again. It's my birthday Sunday and this is my first birthday present. Thanks.

Glad I could help out. Have a blessed Sunday and happy birthday.

:thumbsup:

Dana W

It's good that you found it. I once let something like that go too far and the drawing got corrupted.

In my case, AutoCAD would just go poof when I used that same command, trim, and I'd be looking at my desktop icons. No error msgs, no nothing. The program would just vaporize.

Happy Birthday.

fart_plume
NP, a lot of times slow running programs of any type are due to conflicting software trying request CPU time.

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 10:54 pm
oh, dang it, it's happening again, but this time no errors show up to fix. Anyone have any great thoughts?

fart_plume
11th Jun 2010, 10:56 pm
What operating system are you using and how much memory do you have in the system(is it a laptop?)

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 10:58 pm
okay, another true confession: I am mostly a Mac user, and use the PC just for AutoCAD. I do not know what or how to "request CPU time...

fart_plume
11th Jun 2010, 11:02 pm
The software does that, not you, if things like weather bug, yahoo, anti virus programs on running they do it in the back ground. Normally you would never know they are there unless problems in a new piece of software start happening.

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 11:06 pm
one more variable: this computer is NOT connected to the internet. It is just a stand alone computer, BUT I have downloaded blocks to use from CAD monkey. Could I have imported any kind of bug/virus?

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 11:06 pm
And, I DON"T have any anti virus program on this computer, since it isn't connected to the internet....

fart_plume
11th Jun 2010, 11:07 pm
That is always a possibility when downloading from the internet, have your anti-virus sweet scan tohse files you downloaded and then do a full system scan.

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 11:09 pm
don't have an anti virus on this machine. Is it too late to use one now? will it correct this issue, or am I up a creek? Can I find a free anti virus program that will work?

fart_plume
11th Jun 2010, 11:11 pm
google and Download "AVG for free" install and run a full scan. Eliminate that possibility first and we'll go from there.

nancysb
11th Jun 2010, 11:13 pm
will do this. must go to business appt. will try later tonight or tomorrow. thanks to all so far. it takes a village with me....

Cad64
11th Jun 2010, 11:53 pm
A virus scan is a good idea, but I really don't think this is the problem. This sounds like an issue with your files or possibly your system. As mentioned before, PURGE and AUDIT are good tools to use to clean and fix problems with your drawings, and since this did help somewhat, I'm guessing that maybe your system does not meet the minimum requirements in order to run Autocad? Can you post a run-down of your computer specs?

fart_plume
12th Jun 2010, 12:02 am
I agree sounds like a lower end standard pc, just can't handle the graphics requirements.

nancysb
12th Jun 2010, 11:56 pm
I've tried checking my variables as stated above. I started to trim, and all was fine, but after the third trim it freezes up again, (NOT RESPONDING). My system is: Windows XP 2002, Intel (R); Pentium (R); CPU 2.80 GHZ; 2.79 GHZ; 0.99 GB of RAM

Does my system meet the minimum requirements to run this program? I've been running this program for a couple of years on the computer, and have had this problem intermittently, but it's always just gone away. Not this time

ReMark
13th Jun 2010, 12:19 am
1GB of memory is pretty paltry.

Have you disabled Windows Indexing feature? If you notice a lot of hard drive activity (green light keeps going on and off) then Windows could be trying to build an index of files (mostly document, spreadsheet, etc. types of files) on your computer. I think the default setting is runs every two hours. This could interfere with command use in AutoCAD.

By the way, do you know if you have a graphics chip (integrated on the motherboard) or a dedicated (separate) graphics card?

nancysb
13th Jun 2010, 12:53 am
I'm way down the rabbit hole now...I will find out how to connect my Dell to the internet via the Mac Airport I use, then install AVG Virus Scan. I will then try to download the drivers that I'm missing, since I am missing all the drivers for the Video Controller (VGA Compatible), Multimedia Audio Controller, and the other Video Controller. Perhaps when all these drivers are in place, this will help?!

Again, many thanks for all/everyone's help and patience.